Author Topic: Same person? or sisters? Signatures...Please help  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Same person? or sisters? Signatures...Please help
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 September 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat pepewinsome.

I think that the signatures written by Sarah and Elizabeth are written by different people.

Where are signatures from? Some certificates are filled in by a third party and some contain the original signatures.
One is wedding cert the other a signed witness, the thing that gets me is why would sister have the same middle name? Plus elizabeths birth cert has Elizabeth S Spring..sarah?
I have more signatures ill round them up, because they actually sign different yet again than this...
thankyou for the welcome, im SO happy i found this sight :)

Am I correct in thinking that you don't have the birth certificate for Elizabeth, but are going by what you see on NSWBDM index?
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 September 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
I rather think she has gone by the NSW BMD index Jamjar.  It would be helpful to know when they were born and whereabouts in NSW.  Or any other information that would help to clarify the situation.

The marriage, whoever's it is, might have been reported in a newspaper which may give some clues.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 September 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
I rather think she has gone by the NSW BMD index Jamjar.  It would be helpful to know when they were born and whereabouts in NSW.  Or any other information that would help to clarify the situation.

The marriage, whoever's it is, might have been reported in a newspaper which may give some clues.

There are no reports in papers on Trove that give any clues to whether they be the same person. Nor, any to indicate that they were born in NSW. However, I think I have made a connection to Elizabeth and a brother, which would make Elizabeth the one on NSWBDM (see post on Beginners board). It does not show any link to Sarah though.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 September 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
There doesn't appear to be any record of a marriage between Alexander Purcell and Sarah Spring or any Spring in 1861 in the NSW records.  The dates I put in were 1858 to 1863.  That would suggest that the marriage was elsewhere in Australia.

I see that there are two deaths for Sarah Purcell and one for Sarah A Purcell between 1861 and 1890.  The earliest one is 1867, then 1881 and 1883. (NSW records).

Personally I would be looking for any evidence of a second marriage for Alexander, a death for Sarah. Try to find births for a Sarah and Elizabeth who have the same parents.

It seems to me Pepe, that you need to do a lot more digging and delving to check out and verify your information.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 September 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
The marriage was in Victoria, as shown in thread on Beginners Forum:

1861 Marriage Sarah Ada SPRING and Alexander PURCELL  reference #1974

Jamjar

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 September 17 23:44 BST (UK) »
Ok Jamjar, thanks for that.

Probably would have been simpler to keep it all on the one thread or at least given the link to the other Purcell thread to prevent duplication of information.  Ho hum.......

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 September 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat pepewinsome.

I think that the signatures written by Sarah and Elizabeth are written by different people.

Where are signatures from? Some certificates are filled in by a third party and some contain the original signatures.
One is wedding cert the other a signed witness, the thing that gets me is why would sister have the same middle name? Plus elizabeths birth cert has Elizabeth S Spring..sarah?
I have more signatures ill round them up, because they actually sign different yet again than this...
thankyou for the welcome, im SO happy i found this sight :)

Re same middle name .... I don't find it at all unusual for siblings to have the same middle name, even in this century.  All my siblings and I share the same middle name.  My cousins on both sides have similar naming patterns, and both my sides have many generations  of NSW ancestors with similar patterns.   :)   
Re actually sign different yet again .... as mentioned earlier, it is entirely possible that the handwritten 'signatures' are actually written by the person recording the transmitted details of the event into the register rather than the actual signature of the named person. 

OOPS  ::)  ;D  ;D  ::)

Add
I too think these signatures are in different hands  :) but as to whose hand ...  ::)  ::)  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.