Author Topic: COMBER or COOMBER - Edward in Australia  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: COMBER or COOMBER - Edward in Australia
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 September 17 07:08 BST (UK) »
My main question for this forum is - "how young would the British Army accept as enlistees?".

Although someone on this forum may be able to answer this question, I would have posted it on the 'Armed Forces' board, where the military experts gather.

Jamjar

Hi, Jamjar - I had a look on the "Armed Forces" board, and the most recent posting appeared to be in 2014.

Also, as I was also asking in a round-about way about Edward Comber,  I thought a more general post would suffice.

Sorry if I thought incorrectly!!!!

I'm surprised by your obvious annoyance at my suggestion. I will not bother you with any further comments, except to point out that the Armed Forces forum is very much as active as all the other forums on this site:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/armed-forces/
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Megatill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 September 17 07:17 BST (UK) »
Ok, Folks, I was trying to avoid typing all the Certificates out, but here are some of the ones you were questioning.

1) Marriage 1851 between Edward Comber & Elizabeth Mackey at St Philips Church, Sydney on 21 July 1851 by Banns

Number 27 Volume 22

This certificate does not appear in the NSW BDM Index. It was obtained in 1984 over the counter from the Register 'book'.

The marriage indicated by Jamjar ("351/1853 V1853351 99 COOMBES Edward to MCKYE Elizabeth VA") is not them, and it actually occurred in Warwick Queensland (I have in hand this one too).

2) Children of Edward and Elizabeth Comber number 15.

The majority of these birth/baptism certificates are quite abbreviated, and where a certificate does show the birthplace of Edward, it says "England" with the exception of Sarah Amelia b 20 June 1860 (Application P 87026/82 WS) and Matilda b 16 Sept 1863 (Application 82 M 548 gd) both of which certs say Edward's origin was Spittlefields, Middlesex.

However, I conducted research in London in June 2016, specifically visiting the GRO for assistance in finding Edward's registered birth or baptism and sadly there was no information confirming his origin in Spittlefields or Middlesex.

Edward's age assists in the confirmation by mathematics of his birth year from the Certificates as 1820. However, with lack of proof regarding his actual birth or baptism, it is still speculation that he was born in Spittlefields.

3) Edward's death certificate (1900/008088 - 1900 July 31st in Armidale Hospital, NSW) has NOT KNOWN for his father's information and simply ENGLAND for his origin.

As I have posted questions regarding the Comber family in other posts (with other questions), I was just reminding folks here that while my specific question was "how young would the British Army take enlistees", I'd be happy to share other information regarding Edward and his family if others have info I have not yet seen. Edward's "book" that I have created has over 200 pages in it, so it is a bit hard to recreate here in a posting!!!

Thanks for all your responses!!!

Sorry I posted in the wrong forum, too! I will repost a rewritten question there (and Jamjar - I was not annoyed, and I am sorry you interpreted my 'flip' comment as "annoyance" on my part. I'm trying to remain positive and accept questions and answers I've heard before without causing upset or drama. My apologies to you).
Australia/Scotland: Turnbull, Mackie/Mackay/McKey, Wilson
Australia/England: Hardy, Miller, Turnbull, Comber, Mackie, Tilley
England: Barratt/Barrett, Berridge, Bird, Booth, Bostorne, Buszard/Bussard, Hill, Jacomb, Jarvis, Marston, Miller, Noon, Persival, Roe, Smalley, Tilley, Weston, Wheat, Witsey
US: Tilley
England Counties: Leicestershire, Essex
Scotland: Roxburghshire
Wales: Llewellyns, Jones, Gower, Bowen & Morgan

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 September 17 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

General Regulations and Orders for the Army 1811 might have details of age restrictions for recruitment.

https://archive.org/details/generalregulati01armygoog

Gerry

Offline Megatill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 September 17 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

General Regulations and Orders for the Army 1811

Gerry

Thanks so much for this book, Gerry - I've had a cursory glance through it and have not seen any detail on any age restriction or limitation. I'll have a better read of it tonight. It looks quite useful and will probably explain the way the Muster Books are laid out!!!
Australia/Scotland: Turnbull, Mackie/Mackay/McKey, Wilson
Australia/England: Hardy, Miller, Turnbull, Comber, Mackie, Tilley
England: Barratt/Barrett, Berridge, Bird, Booth, Bostorne, Buszard/Bussard, Hill, Jacomb, Jarvis, Marston, Miller, Noon, Persival, Roe, Smalley, Tilley, Weston, Wheat, Witsey
US: Tilley
England Counties: Leicestershire, Essex
Scotland: Roxburghshire
Wales: Llewellyns, Jones, Gower, Bowen & Morgan