Author Topic: Witnesses on a Marriage 15 Dec 1779 Newcastle - Archives look-up Please?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Witnesses on a Marriage 15 Dec 1779 Newcastle - Archives look-up Please?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 September 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
I think you could well find that the original is exactly the same! I've spent a lot of time looking at Newcastle marriages of that era on microfilm from the original, and they simply record the name of the parties and no more than that.

I'm delighted to be proved wrong  :)

As Boo says, please do check the names of the witnesses against other entries to make sure they aren't what we might describe as habitual witnesses i.e. Churchwarden or a cleaning lady   ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 September 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Mark I am hoping to visit a local LDS Family History Centre next week.I've had a firkle in their catalogue and this entry seems to be on film 1068939.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/285732?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Though the local centre wont have the film in stock, the LDS have digitised the film but the images aren't viewable outside an FHC unless you are a church member (which I'm not). If no one else has been able to look the entry up before I go, I'll look at the image and see what it says.

Boo

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 September 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
Mark I am hoping to visit a local LDS Family History Centre next week.I've had a firkle in their catalogue and this entry seems to be on film 1068939.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/285732?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Though the local centre wont have the film in stock, the LDS have digitised the film but the images aren't viewable outside an FHC unless you are a church member (which I'm not). If no one else has been able to look the entry up before I go, I'll look at the image and see what it says.

Boo

Thank you very much Boo

I feel the witness information I have from Marriage Abstracts is enough for this marriage.

Despite the LDS filming these, Licensing and Copyright they have entered into since, only allows their own members or visitors to their FH Centres access to the digitised films.

I'm stuck right between two LDS Centres, which require 3 or 4 bus journeys and a train. From my village one would have opened and be nearly closed, using the early bus.

Mark

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 September 17 16:33 BST (UK) »

Despite the LDS filming these, Licensing and Copyright they have entered into since, only allows their own members or visitors to their FH Centres access to the digitised films.

Mark

in fairness , its probably the same original agreement as was in place when they microfilmed the  registers all those years ago. Those could only be seen at an FHC and updating/changing the format wouldn't alter the agreement.

Shame there isn't one closer to you, they are a super resource and I am very grateful to the LDS for their generosity in sharing all this stuff.

Boo

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 September 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo, Jen and All

Got some fairly reasonable prints, from these downloads from FS / LDS digitised films, after playing in Picture Manager 'Restore' etc., with the image, to lighten and remove some of the greyness, for printing.

Found my Ancestor's properties in a Selby 1823 Survey and an 1839 Church Rate Book, confirming which properties the Hoods owned, their Tenants and also those premises he rented and from whom. Street names, Inn names. Rootschatter Claire found a link and I've been interrogating a number of different records.

Despite buying 7 property Memorials, getting loads of extra information 1810 to 1870 and Wills etc., pre and post 1858, I just can't quite confirm one link, or rule in, or out another possible nearby link and general information (suggested by Rootschatters thank you).

The Durham Record Office agreement seems to work well to help us.

My ancestor was attacked by highway robbers and left for dead, so my line nearly died out in 1842. His father George was using 8 horse power steam power at the family tannery.

It is amazing what is out there still! But it is finding where these little gems are hidden away!

Mark

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 20:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry it has taken me a while, but my plans to visit the FHC to look at the Parish Register entry for this marriage were very much delayed (the living have been claiming my attention recently)

But I finally got to visit today :-)

JenB you were, as I suspected, correct in saying that the Parish Registers at this time did not mention witnesses, though it appears that IF the couple were married by Licence, then the marriage abstracts 'may' have mentioned them - I really haven't had enough dealings with the marriage abstracts to say if this was normal or not, but suspect it all depended on who was writing them up at the tiime:-)

The parish register is a one line, very terse entry

On a page headed:
Married in Dec 1779

is a list which includes

15 (th of Dec)  John Hood Mar.r (Mariner) & Elisabeth Gibson

and that's it! no other info given.

I have the image, which I will send to Mark via a PM with a link to download.

Boo

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo

Received image with grateful thanks, regards Mark