Author Topic: family history of travelling showmen  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Wendy Downie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
family history of travelling showmen
« on: Friday 08 September 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
We are researching our family history and have got stuck at William Coats and Armand Carloman, both hobby horse proprietors in the late nineteeth century. Can anyone help...please

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: family history of travelling showmen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 September 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy, there is a birth of a Armond Carloman in Q1 of 1866 in Blackburn registration district. Is this your ancestor?

Do you know where Armand and William lived or how you have got back to them? It may help to share as much as you know.

Also, I see there is a James Armand Carloman (possible later relative) who served in WW1. He was born 16 January 1897 and his father was Henry and mother Mary Ann

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 September 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy, I have found a newspaper account of Armond Carloman's burial in Belfast in 1898. If you haven't read this before please let me know and I'll transcribe it for you.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy, there is a birth of a Armond Carloman in Q1 of 1866 in Blackburn registration district. Is this your ancestor?

Do you know where Armand and William lived or how you have got back to them? It may help to share as much as you know.

Also, I see there is a James Armand Carloman (possible later relative) who served in WW1. He was born 16 January 1897 and his father was Henry and mother Mary Ann

from new GRO index, Armond Carloman's mother's maiden name was Horden. But can't find a likely marriagr
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Armond Carloman is aged 35 in 1881 census (Trallwmgollen, Montgomeryshire) living with his wife Catherine and children William and Christina.

Armond gives his birthplace as Paris, France; Catherine as Belfast, Ireland

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
A Henry Carloman age 24 traveller married Mary Ann Eccleston in Birmingham on 7 Dec 1891. He says his father was Armon Carloman - Traveller. Henry can be found on 1891 census with brother William, both occupations are Showman - menagerie. They say they were born in Warwickshire but can't find birth regs. Henry and William aren't much younger than the Armond born in Blackburn RD, so he can't be their father, maybe another brother and Armon(d) senior is the father to them all?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 September 17 16:07 BST (UK) »
Yes Lizzie, Armond Carloman born 1866 must be a child of Armond Carloman (senior), born c. 1846, and Catherine

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
A marriage between Armand snr and Catherine Horden would make everything fit nicely. Maybe in Ireland

Offline Wendy Downie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 September 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy, I have found a newspaper account of Armond Carloman's burial in Belfast in 1898. If you haven't read this before please let me know and I'll transcribe it for you.
Would love to have this, I have some very conflicting information but do have a death of Armond in Ireland( Civil registration index). Our direct connection comes from daughter Angelina born in 1857 to Mary Jordan in Glasgow, but that would make Armond 11 years old! Seems unlikely that there were two Armonds both travelling showmen, but only other documentation we have found is 1881 census in Wales where he is married to Catherine