Author Topic: Eliza Jane Woolley  (Read 7074 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Jane Woolley
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 09 September 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
If William Ps folks were Thomas and Charlotte, then I believe I may have found sisters entering to Victoria:

15 9 AUG 233 LADY KENNAWAY 1853 WOOLLEY, CHARLOTTE A

18 9 AUG 233 LADY KENNAWAY 1853 WOOLLEY, ROSA A

21 9 AUG 233 LADY KENNAWAY 1853 WOOLLEY, JANE E

1042/1857 MORRISON John WOOLLEY Elizabeth Augusta SYDNEY (Elizabeth is incorrect, see notice)

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article60264318

6363/1901  MORRISON Charlotte A W parents THOMAS and CHARLOTTE NEWTOWN

Birth: WOOLLEY, CHARLOTTE  AUGUSTA mmn MARSH
GRO Reference: 1838  J Quarter in CANTERBURY  Volume 05  Page 70

1430/1861 BUTTER John to WOOLLEY Rosa Annie BINALONG

8890/1896 BUTLER Rosa A parents THOMAS and CHARLOTTE SYDNEY

Brother William wants contact with Jane, 4th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12958912

WOOLLEY, HENRY JAMES mmn MARSH   
GRO Reference: 1839  D Quarter in CANTERBURY IN THE CITY AND COUNTY OF THE CITY OF C  Volume 05  Page 55

WOOLLEY, JAMES mmn MARSH
GRO Reference: 1840  J Quarter in WANDSWORTH AND CLAPHAM UNION  Volume 04  Page 471

WOOLLEY, THOMAS mmn MARSH
GRO Reference: 1843  M Quarter in WANDSWORTH AND CLAPHAM UNION  Volume 04  Page 535

WOOLLEY, CHARLES WISE mmn MARSH
GRO Reference: 1844  J Quarter in CANTERBURY  Volume 05  Page 72

WOOLLEY, HENRY RICHARD mmn MARSH
GRO Reference: 1844  J Quarter in CANTERBURY  Volume 05  Page 72

WOOLLEY, JOHN EILDEN mmn MARSH
GRO Reference: 1846  M Quarter in CANTERBURY  Volume 05  Page 66

WOOLLEY, PHILIP SAMUEL mmn MARSH
GRO Reference: 1847  D Quarter in CANTERBURY  Volume 05  Page 64

WOOLLEY, WILLIAM mmn MARSH
GRO Reference: 1847  D Quarter in WANDSWORTH AND CLAPHAM UNION  Volume 04  Page 534

George Henry born Canterbury, UK, 1834

4067/1897 WOOLLEY George H parents JOHN T UNKNOWN BLAYNEY

Death notice: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14121930

Looks like mother Charlotte senior was in Adelaide and died in NSW, 3rd column:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article207742159

5249/1869 WOOLLEY Charlotte parents JOHN M and MARY ORANGE

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Allison Terry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 09 September 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra,
I don't have any certificates of birth death or marriage for Eliza Jane Woolley that had a family with Charles Henry Richards. I have relied on the information from Australian cemeteries index. I feel disappointed that the information on the headstone may be wrong. The fact that all the children are registered in Charles and Jane Richards could be to differentiate between the two Elizas in the family. When I read the death notice for Walter Thomas Woolley and Lizzie James was mentioned as his sister I didn't know what to think. Now I need to se if I can get a copy of one of the children's birth certificate's perhaps I will find the answer there. Thank you to everyone for the information you have provided me.
Kind regards
Allison Terry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 10 September 17 01:06 BST (UK) »
I wonder about the inscription on the headstone on which that plaque has been mounted.   Perhaps the headstone had been transcribed long before the newer plaque was even under consideration and perhaps the sponsor for the plaque had taken the information on the headstone into account, or perhaps on the other hand had overlooked the original headstone.   

https://austcemindex.com/inscription?id=9841470#images

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 10 September 17 01:27 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1878 EDEN, police district of Broulee
William WOLLY, residence, Moruya Heads. 

GREVILLES PO Directory 1875 Moruya
Wm WOOLY, boatman, Moruya Heads. 

NSW BDM online index has following births INDEXED for William P and Eliza WOOLLEY:

1868 Walter T, #11818, Moama
1874 Eliza Jane, (William Philip !)  #2800, Sydney
1877 Unnamed, #9322, Broulee
1879 Charles N (William Philip and Eliza Theabald as given names !) #10765, Broulee
1884 Louisa #5844, Canterbury
1887 Anne, #5393, Canterbury

If this were my family I would consider the official transcription of the 1887 birth for Anne to confirm all her older siblings, and details of their parents. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 10 September 17 01:35 BST (UK) »
NSW ER ORANGE 1870
WOOLLEY as a surname
G.H. household, Orange
Philip, residence, Orange
Thomas, residence, Gosling Creek
Charles, residence, Orange
John, residence, Orange. 

GREVILLES 1875 PO Directory Orange
John WOOLLEY, carpenter, Kite Street

NSW ER ORANGE 1878
John Frederick WOOLLEY, residence, Orange. 
NO others with that surname on that roll.

NSW ER WEST SYDNEY 1878
Charles P WOOLLEY, freehold, 32 Cumberland Street
  No, this chap was Charles Percy WOOLLEY as per jury,  SMH 8 May 1868 http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13165754

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 10 September 17 03:47 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1878 CARCOAR
George H WOOLLEY, freehold, Blayney

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 10 September 17 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,

Which family are your ancestors .... RICHARDS or JAMES ...  :)

JM

Offline Allison Terry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 10 September 17 05:46 BST (UK) »
I am related to the Richards through marriage. My mother in laws mother was born a Richards. Llewellyn Charles Richards is my mother in laws grandfather.
I just discovered a Jane Woolley that had a baby girl Jane Woolley in 1885 Canterbury the baby died 1885. Jane also had Ruby. Percy and Arthur all last name Woolley. It appears when she met Charles Richards she changed there names to Richards.
I am wondering if I should get a certificate for one of these children before their name was changed. Any advice welcome.
Kind regards
Allison

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 10 September 17 06:16 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that it each child's birth is indexed under both surnames but it is the ONE registration  ;D 

For example Percy J's 1891 birth registration is referenced #9532

When you then select the option at NSW BDM online index "Do you know the registration number of the Birth you are searching for? " and select YES (default is no) you will find Percy's birth INDEXED twice, under two different surnames. 

Their surnames on the register did not change.    Until about 1969, NO SURNAMES were actually recorded on birth registrations in NSW.   The surname aspect of the index is there as a pointer.   I am NSW born, so too, my siblings, my parents, my grandparents, back ummm.... a stack of generations.    The surname on the INDEX is drawn from the mother's details, and not actually from dad's surname.  It is the surname the mother was using at the time, and often when there's more than one surname on the index, it is because at the time of the registration it was unclear to the registrar if the mum was formally married.    :)

If this were my family I would order the official transcription of the youngest child's birth registration.   

Add
As an aside, and looking at various versions of my own NSW BDM issued birth certificate ....
 :) the one issued as an extract : My parents were married to each other, so the surname is the same as the one my mother was using at that time (ie her married surname).   
 :) On the certificate issued by the local district deputy registrar (my birth was registered in rural NSW) back in the late 1940s ... there's NO surname, no column heading for FAMILY NAME or SURNAME of baby.     
 :) And on the certified copy obtained THIS century, there's a heading "family name" and of course it contains my maiden surname I had until I married.     :)

All my older and young siblings have all three versions of our birth registrations.   :)  Only the more recent version is now considered 'valid' for the purposes of ID eg passports etc.

JM