Author Topic: Albert George WALKERDEN (aka McGOWEN) the bigamist has risen again. Help please!  (Read 2323 times)

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Yes there is 2 topics on this man I've added the links so you can read what is already known.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674240.msg5192389#msg5192389

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=573215.msg5655627#msg5655627

I received this message this morning and I am not sure the time line works. The person who sent me this message may just "wish" this is the father of the ancestors related to her.

The message is as written:
HI, I am researching my husbands great aunt Grace Beatrice Haynes. Seems she was married to Albert George Walkerden. But you do not seem to have her in your tree. Seems like it was a short marriage. He seems like a rouge, if family trees are right. My question is, When you say this he was also know as McGowan and married to both Isabella and Charlotte. Can you tell me how you know this? I have looked everywhere. 6 Oct 1911 Collingwood, Victoria, Australia Both Isabella and Charlotte gave evidence of marriage. Walkerdon also used the alias McGowan

So my timeline is that WALKERDEN married Annie HOOKER in 1891. They had 2 children and he deserted her somewhere around 1903-04.
In 1905 he married Isabella SMITHERS.
In 1904 he was in court because of a Miners claim - the court case was in Heidelberg.
According to the newspaper article dated Friday 21 July 1905 he lived with HOOKER until May 20 Last* and left her to marry another as Frederick George McGOWEN on 20 July 1905.

If he fitted Grace Beatrice HAYNES in the middle of these 2 marriages he was a fast worker. Help needed - its doing my head in.

Thanks for all the previous help from everyone, cheers Ted.

*Not sure if "Last" means the same year or the previous year.
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert George WALKERDEN (aka McGOWEN) the bigamist has risen again. Help please!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 September 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
On reading the article, the term 'last May'  in the Newspaper report of the Bigamy charge in which legal wife Annie  is a witness, refers to the same year as the trial, 1905.

Annie's statement made on 21 July 1905, was that he told her he had a job in a mine and left her on 20th May to go to the job  - it doesn't read that he left her, as in desert her. He sent her 3 sums of money while he was away and in fact, she tried to withdraw the warrant on him for desertion of the children, but was unable to.  Annie discovered about a week before the trial, that he had married  a young woman under an assumed name and was living with her in lodgings in Fitzroy, and he was then arrested on the 13th July.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article9903848

If your AGW is the same man with whom the young Miss HAYNES was involved, it appears to have been a short lived relationship  - and perhaps 'in the nature of marriage' only and conducted a year before he got caught out with Isabella.  That is, he had a mistress in Grace,  - just like Isabella was, but perhaps didn't marry Grace and obviously, his wife didn't catch him (or at least didn't report it).

Intriguing, that the 1905 Newspaper article, it reports that AGW said there was "a great deal behind this case, as that woman (pointing at his wife) will find out later on"

South Australia, Australia, Police Gazette on  4th and 11 May 1904

Information requested on Grace Beatrice HAYNES
Age 18½, Native of Victoria
Occupation Boot Finisher
Left her home in Northcote, Victoria on 21 March 1904 and went to Adelaide.
Was living there with a man named WALKENDEN as his wife, in furnished apartments in Kensington.
Left there on 27th April 1904.
5'3", Fair hair, fair complexion, dark blue eyes.
Her mother was in Adelaide looking for her.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Albert George WALKERDEN (aka McGOWEN) the bigamist has risen again. Help please!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 September 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Seems she was married to Albert George Walkerden. But you do not seem to have her in your tree. Seems like it was a short marriage.

Married when and where?

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 September 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
These might be the births and deaths of Grace's children:

Birth

HAYNES, Alice
Father: Unknown
Mother: Grace HAYNES
Place of birth CARLTON

Death

FINNIGAN, Alice
Father: Unknown WALKERDEN
Mother: Gracie Beatrice HAYNES
Place of birth: Carlton
Place of death: Prahran
Age 75

Alice married Charles FINNIGIN in 1923 as Alice WALKERDEN.

Birth
NSW

19959/1905
HAYNES FRANK S
Mother: GRACE B
SYDNEY

Death

WALKERDEN, Francis Stanley
Father: UNKNOWN
Mother: Grace Beatrice HAYNES
Place of birth: Sydney New South Wales
Place of death: Mount Waverley
Age 74

I suppose you need to see how Alice and Frank named their father when they married.

I see these births were mentioned on one of the previous threads but no mention of father WALKERDEN's first names.

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 September 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
hi
  WW2  record for Francis Stanley  Walkerden lists NOK as Grace Beatrice Robinson Northcote Victoria

Muss

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 September 17 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Melbourne Cemetery  Grace Beatrice Robinson  died 21 may 1961  mother of Frank and Alice

Muss

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 September 17 02:53 BST (UK) »
Yes there is 2 topics on this man I've added the links so you can read what is already known.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674240.msg5192389#msg5192389

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=573215.msg5655627#msg5655627

So my timeline is that WALKERDEN married Annie HOOKER in 1891. They had 2 children and he deserted her somewhere around 1903-04.
In 1905 he married Isabella SMITHERS.
In 1904 he was in court because of a Miners claim - the court case was in Heidelberg.
According to the newspaper article dated Friday 21 July 1905 he lived with HOOKER until May 20 Last* and left her to marry another as Frederick George McGOWEN on 20 July 1905.

If he fitted Grace Beatrice HAYNES in the middle of these 2 marriages he was a fast worker. Help needed - its doing my head in.

Thanks for all the previous help from everyone, cheers Ted.

Revised the timeline................

Married Annie HOOKER in 1891 apparently left her 20 May 1905
Lived in Adelaide with Grace HAYNES Mar-April 1904?
Married Isabella SMITHERS 25 May 1905 
Charged with bigamy by Annie in July 1905
Married Charlotte BROWN in March 1909
Charged with bigamy by Isabella nee SMITHERS in 1911 - She had lived with the accused for about 18 months altogether though AG left her after three weeks of marriage.  Was she ever his legal wife?

Essie

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 September 17 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Melbourne Cemetery  Grace Beatrice Robinson  died 21 may 1961  mother of Frank and Alice

Muss

Muss may I ask the source of the information.  I can't find the transcription on my resource.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk