Author Topic: ? Cloud  (Read 1660 times)

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ? Cloud
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike175. That's a really useful link. I have every intention of keeping files on one laptop and one hard drive as well as in cloud. But the old laptop is not reliable so need to clear and backup that one. Some I have already moved a while ago but I renamed the files so not able to pick up as duplicates. Really not sure what I have where, this time I am going to do properly and keep at it till I get job done.
Thanks
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: ? Cloud
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
You ask for "secure" backup in the Cloud.  I don't think any of the mainstream Cloud storage providers will make any meaningful commitment about security, or any real guarantee against loss.   It's all "Best Efforts" stuff which is fine for everyday use, but not enough for important materials. 

So, like you, I do backup photos in the Cloud (I use Google), but I have local backups, and offline copies also.   The offline backup is especially important with this encrypting ransomware doing the rounds, which, if you are hit by it, may also encrypt your backups, and could conceivably be propagated into your Cloud copies.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland