Author Topic: John and Jessie Sinton- Ontario - 1875-1885  (Read 2529 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John and Jessie Sinton- Ontario - 1875-1885
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 September 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
I am so sorry JJ- we are definitely on the right track! It was very foolish of me to jump to conclusions! When John Sinton's son William Henry Sinton married in 1920, he stated that he was a farmer. The fact that i had found that william Henry Sinton had settled on a farm in Essex Ontario in 1913 i jumped foolishly to the conclusion that it was linked to his father also being a farmer- based on the move from a big farming rural area in Dorset in the late 1870s with his wife and children- and the general trend of farmers emigrating from the UK to canada for the purpose of developing the agriculture. can you see from the Census entries where John sinton and his wife were in 1881- and his widow in 1891?

So very many big thanks for all your help.

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 September 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification  :) Glad we are on the right track.

1881 -

Ferncoombe, Branksome Wood Rd, Holdenhurst, Hampshire

1891 -

Tarrant Launceston, Dorset, England

JJ

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 September 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
OK- have now found the 1881 Census as you say- mistranscribed!  So does this mean they were not in  canada in 1881? This has taken me down a different route again but it looks like the right family!
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 September 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
OK- have now found the 1881 Census as you say- mistranscribed!  So does this mean they were not in  canada in 1881? This has taken me down a different route again but it looks like the right family!
Caroline

As the Sinton family can be found on the England 1881 then no, they would not have been in Canada in 1881 unless they moved there after the census but came back by 1885 when John died. Jessie can be found on all census available so I find it highly unlikely that she ever went to Canada.

JJ

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 September 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness- so I am still looking for a reason for John and Jesse's son William to have gone to Essex, Ontario in 1913- what sort of records would be available please? I have this info from a previous post and now to dig deeper to find out why William went in 1913.
It is the right marriage.  His full name was William Henry Sinton, born (according to Canadian immigration records) in Stalbridge, Dorset.

He first immigrated to Canada in 1913, and was settled in Essex, Ontario, working on a farm, by the time he travelled back to England in 1920 (during which trip he married Margaret). He travelled back to Canada in March 1920, giving his age as 43.

Any ideas? I do know there is a family rumour that Jessie had a wayward niece in the UK who was sent to Canada for personal reasons and then returned home some time later. She went on to marry William Henry Sinton in 1920 and they both returned to Ontario in 1923 but I am trying to find out why and when the niece was in Canada somewhere between about 1895 and 1919
Caroline

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 September 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Jjen 

Link to earlier post on William Sinton
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=778566.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 September 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you - this is where I have been building the picture- but the family have told me that Margaret Hunt met William Sinton whilst she was in Canada before WW1 and she had been sent away by her family for an indiscretion. Margaret later married william in dorset in 1920 and had their own daughter eunice in 1921 before returning to canada to live in 1923. I am tring to establish where and when margaret was in Ontario and met william.
And why william emigrated there to the farm in Essex Ontario in 1913- is this making any sense?
I have margaret on the 1911 census in the UK in Thane Oxfordshire.
Thank you for sticking with this one with me!
Caroline

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 September 17 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you- that is them! :)
Thank you so much
Caroline