Author Topic: Medal record - why two forces numbers  (Read 2301 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Medal record - why two forces numbers
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 September 17 23:57 BST (UK) »
My g.uncle had two forces numbers but I don't think he was ever in the Territorials.  He joined the army aged 14years and 6 weeks (that's when he had to leave the orphanage he was in).  He joined the 19th Hussars.  When he got he 14 Star Medal his regt. number was 6356 but this changed to 46530 by the time he got the Victory Medal and the Britain Medal.  Unfortunately, his army records must be amongst the ones destroyed during WWII so I only have the details of his Medal Cards.  I have got the war diaries though so I know what was happening when he was killed at Cambrai.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Lizzie  - his renumbering was related to the system adopted by the cavalry in 1906/07.  Explained in depth far better than I could here http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/19th-queen-alexandras-own-royal-hussars.html and in the links given there.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD, what an interesting site. So although I know my g.uncle's number when he enlisted in December 1906 and his new number in 1914 from his medal card, it seems his number must have changed fairly soon after he enlisted.