Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #9 Lisa Hammond  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Knight-Sunderland

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #9 Lisa Hammond
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 September 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
This episode was OK. I preferred the second half to the first.

I am really not a fan of history about the World Wars, so when I saw on a preview that her episode was going to be somewhat World War focused I nearly gave it a miss. However there was nothing else on and I was bored so I had a watch. As I thought, the part about her grandad in the war wasn't very interesting (to me), but I loved the part where she ended up in Wales.

If the whole episode was like the last 10 minutes then it would have been briliant.

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 September 17 23:43 BST (UK) »
I thought this episode was quite interesting, though I'd never heard of Lisa before.

One thing puzzled me though. An ancestor, greatx3 grandfather(?) William Henry Hilditch (?) was 16 on a census and living with his mother, Minnie, aged 78! Surely this was incorrect?  Did anyone else spot this?
Judy

I've only just looked at the episode, it was the 1939 register. The 16 year old William(b. 1923) was living with his mother who was born in 1878, and so was a perfectly acceptable 45 when William was born. It wasn't on screen long though.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 September 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Frostyknight. I must have seen 1878 and thought it was Minnie's age. Yes, it wasn't on screen for long.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
I thought her grandfather's wartime stuff was quite interesting: we've had lots of WW1 history on other programmes, but I can only think of the Chris Tarrant one where they spent much of the time looking at an ancestor's WW2 history.  I can't remember them covering POW records before.
I've never seen any WW2 service records for any of my family (most were either too young or too old to have seen action), but I was struck by how similar they were to WW1 records. I know not a lot of time had passed, but somehow I thought they might have been updated a bit!
I had no idea the Red Cross had wartime records either. Or were they just there for some background? I can't now remember if they actually produced any records relating to her grandfather, other than his service record, which we'd seen twice before without anyone actually reading to the end.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk