Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #9 Lisa Hammond  (Read 3225 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #9 Lisa Hammond
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 September 17 08:23 BST (UK) »
I had never heard of this lady either. However, her poor grandfather must have suffered in those prisoner of war camps to keep so quiet about it.

One thing puzzled me though. An ancestor, greatx3 grandfather(?) William Henry Hilditch (?) was 16 on a census and living with his mother, Minnie, aged 78! Surely this was incorrect?  Did anyone else spot this?

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 September 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
In the programme, she said she was "pushing forty".
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 September 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
I've just watched this last night, as I couldn't catch it in "real time" - quite interesting, as someone else has said, the "Eastenders" tag put me off - then I realised she was an actor I'd seen in "Vera".  It got better, in my view, as it did go further back through the generations.
Don't really feel the series has "lost its way" - but I think many of us have spotted minor errors here and there, or things we thought were worth following up that were not followed up in the programmes, - after all, their researchers haven't got the magnificent mob of Rootschatters on hand to help them out - or have they??
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 September 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
William Henry Hilditch (?) was 16 on a census and living with his mother, Minnie, aged 78! Surely this was incorrect?  Did anyone else spot this?

I haven't seen it but if you have 'followed up' on it, please tell  ;D

I'm now curious who the 'real' mother was & what you've discovered ?

Now that beggars belief as that to me would be the 'juicy' bit, the 'skeleton' scenario  ???

I wonder why they didn't research it in full after all that's the whole point of tracing your ancestry isn't it  :-\

Although as said I haven't seen it, the numbers/ages don't add up i.e. I would have thought any true professional would notice it whether working for tv or otherwise as it's all part of weighing things up....I'm never without pen/paper/calculator or excel when things get complicated.

I think many of us have spotted minor errors here and there, or things we thought were worth following up that were not followed up in the programmes, - after all, their researchers haven't got the magnificent mob of Rootschatters on hand to help them out - or have they??

It was hinted at on another WDYTYA thread that RCrs help but maybe they aren't allowed to say  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 September 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
I suppose to be fair there is only so much following up on they could fit into one programme.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 September 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Pharma...

One thing puzzled me though. An ancestor, greatx3 grandfather(?) William Henry Hilditch (?) was 16 on a census and living with his mother, Minnie, aged 78! Surely this was incorrect?  Did anyone else spot this?

It was the 'Ancestor'...is that not who they trace   ???  ;D

That's why I'm thinking 'juicy' & 'skeleton' & if it was my ancestor I'd want to know the truth...

They have plenty of time prior to going out for viewing & if they cut out all the showing of people driving from A to B then walking from C to D then driving form D to E etc. then they could soon fit in an illegitimate BC of the ancestor to show the true parent (which we love)  ???  ;D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 September 17 17:45 BST (UK) »

Now that beggars belief as that to me would be the 'juicy' bit, the 'skeleton' scenario  ???

Sorry to mislead, Lisa admitted that she/herself was pushing forty ... not referring to any ancestor.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 September 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry to mislead, Lisa admitted that she/herself was pushing forty ... not referring to any ancestor.

;D  ;D
Doesn't affect/detract that the mother of the 16 yr old would have been 62 yrs old when she gave birth  :o  ???

Reminds of films where you're left wondering what happened next  :-\

Annie

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 September 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
Maybe I've read something which wasn't there at all. Need to watch it again. Just thought I saw 78 on some record. Maybe it was the 1939 Register. Now totally unsure/confused.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire