Author Topic: FRANCES LITHERLAND.  (Read 2454 times)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FRANCES LITHERLAND.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:01 BST (UK) »

I would look for Nathan and Peter with a brother Richard.

I also saw an article that Peter Litherland had a patent for a type of
watch gear he had invented, early 1700's  I think it was.

The Litherland Davies & Company on Church Street in a later directory
says they manufacture watch gears.

Somebody had to leave a will check the Lancashire Record Office, I've not found anything in PCC wills .

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 September 17 01:28 BST (UK) »
Richard himself is  a problem, an online tree  and Lancs OPC has his parents as John Litherland and Eleanor Picton, but John is a and glazier. This doesn`t seem to fit but I can`t find another baptism.  ???
Clocks and watches have glass.
Cowban

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 September 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
Richard himself is  a problem, an online tree  and Lancs OPC has his parents as John Litherland and Eleanor Picton, but John is a and glazier. This doesn`t seem to fit but I can`t find another baptism.  ???
Clocks and watches have glass.

In this case I think it`s windows. Thanks for the input though.
Marriage: 13 Apr 1801 St Anne Richmond, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
 John Litherland - Plumber & Glazier, the Parish of Liverpool
 Eleanor Pickton - (X), Widow, the same Parish
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 September 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
Wilcoxon

This won't add anything to your search. However, my ancestor, Thomas Sudlow, had been involved with Litherland Davis (Davies?) before its wind up in 1829. There doesn't seem to have been a Ltherland involved at that point.

When I looked into this some years ago it became apparent that Peter Litherland was from Warrington and was a prominent freemason. They may be areas you could look into.

Regards

Suds

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 September 17 08:32 BST (UK) »
Well, after searching till my eyes popped out I am no further on with this After looking at the burials of the children ,  most records at St Peter I would have thought if any where she would be in there.
I didn`t find any wills, only one administration document .
The freemason link gave some good results from Christian Litherland who married James Broadhurst.
Where did you find the freemason link to Peter Litherland
 http://www.mqmagazine.co.uk/issue-13/p-34.php

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 September 17 11:14 BST (UK) »

Wilcoxon

I’ve tried to go back over my previous searches but haven’t been able to find the direct Masonic connection. Perhaps I just had the recollection that Peter Litherland’s sister marries a prominent mason. I’m sorry if I misled you.

There’s a general history of the Masonic rebellion here:

http://www.knightstemplar.org/KnightTemplar/articles/liverpool.htm

Unfortunately it doesn’t mention Peter Litherland although it does mention his brother in law James Broadhurst.

Regards

Suds

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 September 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
Wilcoxon

A bit more information about Peter Litherland,

On the north side, opposite the church, stands the establishment of Messrs. Roskell and Co., watch manufacturers. The history of the watch trade in Liverpool is not devoid of interest, as being one of the few manufactures which have been carried on with success. It is said that there are only three places in the United Kingdom where watches are actually made, viz. London, Liverpool, and Coventry. I have alluded, in Chapter V., to John Wyke, who was one of the first to introduce the manufacture into the town. John Wyke died in 1787. William Tarleton is said to have been the first person who brought the Liverpool made watches into high repute. In the Directory of 1766 he is found in Bixteth Street. Before 1781 he had removed to No. 8 Church Street, then recently built. The neighbouring Tarleton Street in all probability derives its name from this source. In 1803 he was succeeded by Robert Roskell, who had previously carried on business in Byrom Street, and had married Tarleton's daughter. On the same premises the business has been carried on by successive generations of the same family to the present time.

The Right Rev. Dr. Roskell, R.C. Bishop of Nottingham, was a descendant of Robert Roskell.

Another well known name in the same manufacture, Peter Litherland, the inventor of the lever watch, was long connected with Church Street. In 1796 we first find him in Mount Pleasant, about which time a circular was issued by Litherland, Whiteside, and Banning, calling public attention to their improvements. They then removed to Ranelagh Street, and in 1810 to Church Street, the firm being subsequently changed to Litherland, Davies, and Co.

About 1837 they removed to Bold Street, where they still remain.

MEMORIALS OF LIVERPOOL HISTORICAL AND TOPOGRAPHICAL INCLUDING A HISTORY OF THE DOCK ESTATE BY J.A.PICTON,F.S.A. SECOND EDITION, REVISED, WITH ADDITIONS IN TWO VOLUMES

VOL.II.

TOPOGRAPHICAL

LONDON:
LONGMANS,GREEN,& CO.
LIVERPOOL:G.G. WALMSLEY 1875

Regards

Suds

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 January 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
After nearly 4 months I have found much more information on this family -  but still not found Frances.
She is a complete mystery. She must be there somewhere but is hiding from us all.  ???

Offline amy8032

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 December 21 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I am also looking into this family, i don't think Peter the watchmaker is one of them? I can't find anything that connects him to the others and i think if he had Bromfield in his name that would be on his wiki page. Looks like a few of them moved to london