Author Topic: SHIELLS family of Black Callerton, then Whitley Bay (ignore the Kansas ones)  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
SHIELLS family of Black Callerton, then Whitley Bay (ignore the Kansas ones)
« on: Saturday 09 September 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
These folks all died, left wills and probates but where were they buried!
John Shiells d.30 Dec 1877 at Black Callerton
Andrew Shiells  d. 24 May 1884 at "
George Shiells d. 01 Jul 1881 at "
Isabella Shiells (Andrews widow and nee Anderson) d. 09 Oct 1901 at Whitley Dairy, Whitley Bay.

I've checked Newburn, Whorlton, Ponteland for church burials
I've checked Cullercoats for a church burial.

But I've not found any of the above peoples burials. I do not have access to civil cemetery records, so this is possibly where they are.

Are you related to these Shiells? Do you know where they are buried?

Gen in NBL England

UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: SHIELLS family of Black Callerton, then Whitley Bay (ignore the Kansas ones)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 September 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
interesting article in 1902 mentions Isabella
Dispute between Whitley farmers,John Shiell and Charles Dunn of Red House Farm Monkseaton
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHIELLS family of Black Callerton, then Whitley Bay (ignore the Kansas ones)
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
Perhaps they may have been buried at either Earsdon  St Albans Church, or in Earsdon cemetery or at Preston cemetery, North Shields?

I may be able to call in at North Shields library at some point over the next two weeks and can check if they have the Earsdon burials which would cover the dates you mention - if no one  checks this before me.  I know the local studies do hold the Preston cemetery records there.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 September 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
might be an idea  to check the newspaper collection at North Shields library as well
being farmers they may have placed funeral announcements in the press,also have you checked Monkseaton and Cramlington church registers
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 September 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
I have just checked in 'Margaret Hall Genealogy'website and Isabella's death notice is in the Evening Chronicle edition dated 11 October 1901. (Google this and you will see the listings for yourself - you will find the Evening Chronicle notices listed under Margaret's 'free genealogy records' section)

If no one beats me to it I will check this at the Newcastle library at some point this week.  This will most likely provide information on her burial place.

Perhaps the others you mention may be found at whatever place Isabella was buried at.?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all who replied. I can see where I still must check for the Monkseaton burial. I can check any NBL churchyard burials as I have access to all of them. But I have no access to the civil cemeteries such as Preston.

So if anyone can look in Preston for Isabella Shiells I would be grateful.

Neither FindMyPast or the British Newspaper Archive throw up the death notice for Isabella in the Newcastle Chronicle, they don't seem to cover the period of her death. Yet, Margaret's list of deaths in the EC show it, so it must be there just not online! So a check of the libraries newspapers will be necessary. A trip into Newcastle seems likely! Darn, I was there on Wednesday with an hour to kill!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
Radcliff, thanks for the tip-off about the Shiells/Dunn courtcase. FindMyPast didn't show it but the British Newspaper Archive DID!. I've found before their search facility is much better than FindMyPast's!

Gen in NBL England

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
I am passing through Newcastle town on my way home now.   I have just remembered that the library at Newcastle is open on a Sunday!! :)

I am going to call in and look the notice up today so you should have your answer hopefully within about the next hour.  Watch this space!

By the way, I think the Newcastle Chronicle and the Evening Chronicle may be two separate newspapers.  So this may be why you may not be finding Isabella's notice whilst it is showing on Margaret Hall's great website.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 September 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Tyne Lass!

Waiting with bated breath!

The Newcastle Chronicles ARE confusing, there were:
Newcastle Chronicle
Newcastle Daily Chronicle    and
Newcastle Evening Chronicle                    all covering different dates with some overlap!

Yet not forgetting:
Newcastle Courant
Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury             and
Newcastle Journal                             once again, all covering different dates with some overlap!

The online databases don't cover ALL the editions of ALL these newspapers, and things fall between the cracks.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence:-)

Gen in NBL England