Author Topic: SHIELLS family of Black Callerton, then Whitley Bay (ignore the Kansas ones)  (Read 2723 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHIELLS family of Black Callerton, then Whitley Bay (ignore the Kansas ones)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Gen List Lass,

I have felt so sorry that you have not been able to find your ancestor's burial that I squeezed in Tyne and Wear Archives today.  However, sorry I still can't find her at St Nicholas' Cemetery in Fenham.  I have also tried Hetton-le-Hole and St Nicholas at Boldon as a long shot without success.

Now I am stumped!   ::)

I wonder if any other RootsChatters have any suggestions?

Sorry I have not been able to help find her today.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: SHIELLS family of Black Callerton, then Whitley Bay (ignore the Kansas ones)
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass

This is really bizarre! To put a death notice in a newspaper and then not to bury the lady at  that cemetery is weird! Irrespective of whether they noted which St Nicks cemetery they were talking about....

In the 20 plus years I've been doing genealogy, I've not come across this one before:-) I'll ask around a few people to see whether I'm overlooking the obvious.....  Just in case Rootschatters are looking the other way at the moment:-)

Thank you again for your extra tenacity in helping with the Newcastle end of the research, you are a star!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 September 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
Given that this was in a Newcastle newspaper and the only location given in the death announcement was 'St. Nicholas Cemetery', my money would still be on St. Nicholas, Fenham.

RT Lass was very kind to check the records there for you - I wonder if she could confirm that both consecrated and unconsecrated burials were checked?
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi jon541,

I just checked the burial registers.  From the Tyne and Wear registers guide it appears to me that both consecrated and unconsecrated are on microfilm number 1388.  If anyone out there can let me know if I should have been checking some other reel please let me know.

I agree Jon, that it Is reasonable given the wording of the death notice that she would be found there.  Unfortunately,  I was unable to find Isabella here.  I would have liked to have helped Gen List Lass get closure on this but so far the answer appears to be eluding us all.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 September 17 05:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks RTL - I'm sure you're an old hand at this so would have checked both.  It just seemed likely that "St. Nicholas Cemetery" without any other indicator would have meant only one thing to a Newcastle readership.

How frustrating... as GLL has already checked the other potential St. Nick's at Cramlington and Gosforth, it's difficult to think of anywhere else to look.  Clearly, with a horsedrawn cortege leaving Whitley Bay it can't have been too far!

Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 September 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
I agree Jon541, that it likely can't have been too far away.  I think she may have been buried with her
husband.  As he died at Black Callerton he may have been buried in a Newcastle Cemetery.  I have checked two cemeteries St Nicholas and St Andrew and Jesmond.  Gen List Lass Knows someone who has checked the Old Jesmond Cemetery.  I wonder if it might be worth checking St John's Cemetery next.  I am unable to do this check just now due to work commitments.  I hope If anyone is at the archives they might be able to check this for Gen List Lass?

I am sure many of us would like to see her get closure on this puzzling scenario.  This thread certainly seems to be getting a lot of attention in the Common Room too!

If only Gen was famous so she could go on 'Who Do You Think You Are' and have this seemingly effortlessly found out by a team of behind the scene experts. ;)  :)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 September 17 07:19 BST (UK) »
Wonder if I checked Dinnington!!!!!!!! I think I did but I'll have another look. Maybe St Nicholas is the ultimate "red herring"

Her husband might be at Dinnington.......? Quite near to Black Callerton farm where he died.

I'm still on the case, more after I've been to Woodhorn again - tomorrow.

Gen
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Re: SHIELLS family of Black Callerton, then Whitley Bay
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Found at last!

Both Isabella and Andrew were buried at St Nicholas cemetery Fenham Newcastle. They were among the unconsecrated burials. The minister was the Rev Richard Leitch, a Presbyterian minister from College Rd chapel, Newcastle.

I asked a friend who is a regular at TWAS to recheck for me as the films are so jumbled and unclear. Whoever wrote them up didn't bother to put the year on the top of the page which didn't help!

Thank you to all who have followed this query and gave helpful advice, we got there in the end:-)