Author Topic: Teddy Lowe, Lancashire Wrestling Champion, Whitworth  (Read 5799 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Lowe, Lancashire Wrestling Champion, Whitworth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
I don't think that the current Halfway House is the Hargreave's.

There is a birth of an Edmund Law registered in Newchurch (in Rossendale) in 1842. Trouble is it's in the last quarter.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
There is still a Hargreaves' Arms at Lumb in Rossendale. Just to the north of Newchurch.

Could the geography have become garbled in the telling? Journalists have this sort of reputation!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
The thing is in some papers they call location of the pub Whitworth in some other place its Facit. That clip which I just posted speaks of exact location of it...even names streets, but unfortunately it doesnt tell me much, sadly I am not familiar with local geography. Also according one article dated 1866 there was a bus which was going from Three Crowns Inn of Rochdale to Hargreaves Arms Facit Rochdale and the fair was 4d. And yes it was mentioned in that article that proprietor was "Teddy" Lowe. That guy Edmund Law b. 1842...what was his primary occupation? I am assuming Teddy was a collier since thats what he did for living outside wrestling during his 6 year stay here in America.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 13:56 BST (UK) »
Whoops! Hadn't seen the clipping. The pub appears to be now called the Cock & Magpie. There doesn't seem to be room for more than one pub on Tonge End Lane.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
Alrighty, thanks, so what I did I just messaged them both on Facebook, Cock and Magpie and Halfway House...so we shall see what they may have on the origin of their pubs. The thing is I was thinking on looking it up in Rochdale Trade Directories...they may have it in the 1860's???

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 15:36 BST (UK) »
What do you reckon to the Edmund Law, 30, Labourer, born Cowpe (north west across the moor), living in Whitworth in 1871 (RG10/4131 folio 82 page 27) ?

Cowpe would probably be reckoned to be part of Newchurch-in-Rossendale.

Have you written him off already?

Added: He appears to have married Alice Mercer in 1865 at St. Bartholomew, Whitworth.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 22:38 BST (UK) »
WOW, brilliant find, this Edmund Law easily can be him, and YEAH I do have credible evidences that Teddy Lowe got married in 1865, again according the article which I have located on BNA. What do you have on Law...in 1873 he is here in States, and back home in late 1879, I have him actively wrestling in Lancashire in 1880, he was wrestling his old nemesis Henry Cousel of Bury and some new generation mat stars. Were you able to find his date of death??? Having it I hope I can locate obituary on BNA, but yes thats the FIRST real candidate to be Teddy Lowe. Amazing JOB !!!! Sincere appreciation.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 September 17 04:33 BST (UK) »
Hi following on from the 1871 census for Edmund Law and Alice, these are the 1881/91 census:-

1881 census

Alice Law 35 Married occ Cotton Weaver b Facit
Mary Mercer Mother/Married b Haslingden
Mary E Whittaker 18 Boarder b Newchurch
Residing at Alfred Street Market Street, Spotland
Census Ref RG11/4124/25/43

1891 census

Alice Law 45 Widow b Facit
Henry Mercer 42 Brother
Simon Mercer 19 Nephew
Young H Mercer 17 Nephew
Residng at Fog Lane, Middleton