Author Topic: Seeking Ada Sullivan  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Stephen Collicoat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Ada Sullivan
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 September 17 00:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who helped me in this search.

It seems clear that Ada left no record of her first 17 years on earth, living in Kent Town, South Australia. The hope that there may have been a household census of the Sullivan family living in Grote  Street hasn't worked out. This would have given me hard evidence to support my theory as to why on her Marriage Certificate Ada lists as her father a man who died years before she was born.  Unfortunately, that theory takes several pages to explain.

As an aside, Michael died in 1866 not 1886 as shown on his gravestone. Thanks.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 September 17 02:24 BST (UK) »
The year 1886 for Michael SULLIVAN's death was sourced from the obituary of his wife Mary not his headstone.   His death registration and burial information have his death in 1866.

According to transcribed information of his headstone, his death was in 1866.  A photo is available on request.  Email address on website.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~deadsearch/west_sm_sz.htm
SULLIVAN, Michael 1866
SULLIVAN, Mary   1893
SULLIVAN, John Joshua Daniel 1882

Am I correct in thinking that Mary HAYLOCK formerly GOSLING nee COONAN wife of Robert HAYLOCK, at one time Mayor of Carisbrook, Victoria, was Mary SULLIVAN nee COONAN's relative?    Mary HAYLOCK was the dau of Thomas COONAN and Bridget MANNION and sister to Ann and John.  The family arrived in Victoria from Tipperary via Plymouth in 1851 on the STEBONEATH.  Mary SULLIVAN nee COONAN was born in Tipperary.

Her arrival in South Australia.
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/wanderer1851.shtml

Have you considered that Ada may have been an illegitimate child of Mary SULLIVAN's elder daughter born 1856?

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 September 17 04:58 BST (UK) »
Exactly what my theory is. I believe Ada is the natural daughter of Mary Coonan/Gosling/Haylock.
This is partly based  on my late mother's vague recollection that her mother was raised by an aunt. The Mary Sullivan in Adelaide was married to Michael Sullivan, the gent mentioned as father on Ada's marriage certificate. only problem is that he died long before Ada was born. Another clue is that Ada was brought up ion a strict Catholic background which turned her into a fierce Protestant. The wording on Mary Sullivan's gravestone is very Catholic. The fact is there are no records of Mchael Sulllivan or Ada's birth. Haylock may have been the father, but he seems to have suffered a nervous breakdown and around Ada's birth, he gave up his post as Carisbrook, Victoria's mayor and deserted his wife. At the same time, it was common for sisters to swap children among their family. Poor Ada! She seemed to be the parcel no one really wanted.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 September 17 05:21 BST (UK) »
OR

Have you considered that Ada may have been an illegitimate child of Mary SULLIVAN's elder daughter born 1856?

[?Emphrain] Robert HAYLOCK and Mary COONAN married in 1866 and there are no births registered to them at all.

I find it strange that Ada would be taken to Adelaide after her birth when Mary HAYLOCK had a brother John and sister Ann in ?Victoria.    What was the relationship between Mary HAYLOCK formerly GOSLING, nee COONAN and Mary SULLIVAN nee COONAN.

Cando

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 September 17 05:28 BST (UK) »
I should perhaps add that when Ada married she is recorded in her Marriage Certificate as living in Little Rundle Street which is just around the corner from Mary's home in Grote Street, Kent Town.

These various 'facts' of course aren't anything like evidence but it seems to point to the Carisbrook/Adelaide connection. I tried to find some records from the local Catholic church to find a confirmation record or a Catholic school attendance. Still a mystery, but an interesting one!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 September 17 05:36 BST (UK) »
Mary HAYLOCK appears to have been a woman of strong character.  Wouldn't she have simply raised Ada as her own.

http://wiki.prov.vic.gov.au/index.php/Haylock,_Mary

There is no Grote Street, Kent Town.  Grote Street runs from Victoria Square to West Terrace.  There is a Little Rundle Street at Kent Town though.  I am very familiar with this area of Adelaide.  I'll have a look at some of my old maps of Adelaide CBD and environs.

Cando

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 11 September 17 08:21 BST (UK) »

Can you give all the information on the marriage certificate, 1891, please.

Death 1945 for Ada DOWNES has birthplace Adelaide. If this is the source for birthplace that you are using, it might be useful to see a birthplace recorded during her life time, even better if Ada is the source of the information.

What birth certificates do you have, Victoria, for children born to Ada and Joseph.........which would ask for birthplace of parents.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 11 September 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
Wivenhoe SA certs are not like the Victorian marriage certificates.

Here you you anyway.  Death certificates noted born Adelaide.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 11 September 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thomas COONAN died intestate in 1864.  Thomas's file at PROV includes a statement by his son John wherein he mentions himself, Sarah KELLY [nee COONAN] and Mary GOSLING [nee COONAN] as surviving children and next of kin of Thomas COONAN.

No mention of a Mary SULLIVAN in Adelaide.

Cando