Author Topic: John Wilson of Cardewlees Farm, Dalston  (Read 1658 times)

Offline stevefoote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Wilson of Cardewlees Farm, Dalston
« on: Sunday 10 September 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the descendants of a Dalston man whose skills as an architect are celebrated in the island of Guernsey.

John Wilson was born in 1781 at Cardewlees Farm, Dalston, the son of Robert and Mary.

He joined the Board of Ordnance as a mason, which took him to Guernsey, Channel Islands. While he lived there, he undertook private commissions and was the architect for what are now considered some of the island’s finest buildings.

However, until recently very little was known of his origins. He died in Southampton in 1866 - and left a sum of money to his great nephew, John Wilson, to build a house in Cumbria. We know that his heir was the son of Rev. Robert Wilson of Maryport - but know nothing of his descendants.

In 2018, there are a number of activities planned to mark the 200th anniversary of St James Church, one of his designs. I would like to make contact with anyone who may know any more about this family.

Thanks,
Steve Foote
Editor, The Review of the Guernsey Society
Guernsey - Foote, Bisson, Falla, Gallienne, Jamouneau, Ozanne, Marquand, Martel, Ozanne, Priaulx, Queripel (also Guernsey butchers, maritime history, Huguenots, Methodists, WW1)
Devon - Foote, Steer
Dorset - Hawkins
Somerset - Smith, Winter
Monmouthshire - Turberville, Burton, Johns
Pembrokeshire - Howell, Castle

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: John Wilson of Cardewlees Farm, Dalston
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 September 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
The surname Wilson is prolific in the area - have you got further details ?  When and where was Rev Robert Wilson born ?  What was the name of his son ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline stevefoote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Wilson of Cardewlees Farm, Dalston
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 November 17 01:13 GMT (UK) »
This is exactly my challenge - I am trying to find a Wilson in a haystack.

When and where was Rev Robert Wilson born ? Rev Robert was born in Dalston, Cumbria in 1802 (bap 31 Mar) and married Eliza Kirkman of Bolton. He died in 1864 in Maryport.

What was the name of his son ? - John, who was the third son of Rev. Robert Wilson. He was in Kirkdale in Liverpool in 1861 census as a lodgteer and pupil teacher. His great uncle left him a substantial sum in 1866 when he died, which he would inherit when he reached the age of 25 in 1872. He inherited a large sum to purchase an estate in Cumberland - and I would love to find out if he did so.
Editor, The Review of the Guernsey Society
Guernsey - Foote, Bisson, Falla, Gallienne, Jamouneau, Ozanne, Marquand, Martel, Ozanne, Priaulx, Queripel (also Guernsey butchers, maritime history, Huguenots, Methodists, WW1)
Devon - Foote, Steer
Dorset - Hawkins
Somerset - Smith, Winter
Monmouthshire - Turberville, Burton, Johns
Pembrokeshire - Howell, Castle