Author Topic: Morton, Hudson, Gibson  (Read 5009 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Morton, Hudson, Gibson
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 September 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
Have you considered sending a enquiry to Barnardo's to see if your Grandfather was in their care before he was adopted,there is a fee but the information is invaluable
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 September 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
Doris is still living with her mother in Marianople St Newcastle in 1934 and 1935 and 36 there is another lady living with them Margaret Convery,or they are living with her
I am thinking Doris's mother may have died in 1936
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Vicky9284

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 September 17 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your replies. I found out that Margaret Jane Hudson and John Thomas Hudson had 4 children all of which had died but it's so interesting to know their names. I had not been able to find a death for John so that is a great find I will look into getting a copy of his death certificate.
How would I go about getting a copy of Montagues will? I am really starting to think that Montague is my grandads father but can never place him and Doris together in fact I can't find where either of them lived in the 1930s 1940s. I know they lived in Oxford together when my grandad was around 9 as this is the age he thinks he was collected from foster care and taken to live with them.
During his time in foster care he remembers Doris coming to visit him but always knew her as Auntie Doris it wasn't until he was taken to live with them Montague told my grandad that Doris was his mother it was then he was told to call him father. When my grandad was going to join the army around 18 years old he was told that Montague had adopted him to carry on the family name. We have no adoption papers so have no idea when this adoption took place.
My grandad had no birth certificate so the one I have was done in 1959 when he would have needed it to get married.
He only once asked his mother who his dad was later on in life but she would not tell him saying he would not forgive her.
My grandad knows that his last foster home was with a Mr and Mrs Todd he stayed with them for a good few years they had children Ada, Homer and another I don't know. He remembers them living at the level crossing Woodstock in Oxford. I think maybe they were friends with Doris as they did stay in contact.
I also can not seem to find out what happened to James Morton.
My grandad says that although Doris did not talk of her mother much she was alive through some of my grandads childhood he says that Doris went to her funeral and that she was killed by a tram however I can not find anything to say this is true. So he may have that completely wrong as he did never meet her.
I will deffintly contact Barnardos  :)
Its all such a mystery but thank you again for your help you are all much better at this than I am.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 September 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Possibly died in
James Morton aged 35 years death registered March 1925
if you follow them through the electoral registers for Newcastle they are together until that year
in Gill Street,I can't see any more children for them

Offline Vicky9284

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 September 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you again what is the best way to search/track using the electoral registers I have been using ancestry but find it hard to follow. Do you know if Doris was also registered living with them up until that time?

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 September 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
she wouldnt be registered until she was 21 and yes she is with her mother up to 1936

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 September 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
in 1937
Margaret Convery is still at the address,16 Marianople Street but there is no Doris or Margaret Jane Morton there

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 September 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
This is just a guess Vicky,Doris's Dad died in 1925 leaving Margaret a widow with a young daughter,in 1934 Doris becomes pregnant but is still at home with her mother two years later mother dies and leaves Doris on her own with a toddler,she needs to work and perhaps has to put her child into care so she can,perhaps she goes into service or even war work and meets Montague who knows,they become close and she tells him about her son,and he having none of his own welcomes him into his home,it was probably a private adoption so there may be no court papers any way this is just a guess,nothing concrete to base it on until you have your Grandad's records from the childrens home

Offline Vicky9284

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 September 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
You may well be correct, although I think he went to a children's home when he was 10 months old. We have a little photo album of Doris holding grandad at 10 months. Then we have about 10 photos of him at different ages up until 2 with a lady. Did you find that Margaret Jane Morton died around 1836?