Author Topic: Deli in the 1920's  (Read 1961 times)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Deli in the 1920's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
Business up for sale
SMH 8Feb1929 http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16529552/1198226 (see 1st column, pg 3)
LEADING HAM, BEEF, and Delicacy Store, well established, good shop trade, and sound outside run, all cash, top prices, over £2000 turnover. Full stock and plant including motor car delivery, good lease, low rent, tiled front up to date shop and dwelling, merchants and bank references. Full Price £375, cash or terms. Apply
A. C. WOOLNOUGH, The Strand
Delicatessen, Ocean Beach, Deewhy

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
SMH 16DEC1937 http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/17425501 (2nd column)
PROVISIONS. Smallgoods Round. Consistent congenial business established 6 years. Five full working days week. Plant includes Werner cooling chamber. Invicta bacon slicer. Plymouth truck. Every convenience Turnover £2000. Prlce £475
Particulars A. C. WOOLNOUGH
DEEWHY Phone. YB532

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
An article about the types of goods in a deli.
The Journal (Adelaide) 31st Jan1920 http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/213321792 (3rd column)
Concerning Chic
.... Another shop that roused my admiration is called "Ye Savorie," and devoted to everything in the way of delicatessen, such as caviare, Indian pickles, and luxuries of that kind. Garlic sausages for sandwiches, great pink hams, and innumerable attractive edibles fill up a shining white-painted window, into which an immacuately white clad shop assistant dashes, at intervals, a long silverer harpoon, that reaches dainties in the very farthest corner of the window. There is nothing chic about garlic sausages, but the whole establishment is chic in its own line.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Iwccc,

I notice you are online at the moment (green light lit up), perhaps you could confirm if the information posted in these replies is helpful, or are you looking for the owners/operators before and after Charles Woolnough ?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions regarding a Deli shop at 11 The Strand,Dee Why. I am actually seeking to find information about James Dargavel Copland who I am led to believe rented the shop after Albert Charles Woolnough.   James would have gone there in the 1930/40's and stayed on at that shop until he retired in the 1950's.  Can't seem to find a reference anywhere to the shop being "No.11"
I would love to find a photograph of the shop also.  Tried various ideas but so far no answer. I have managed to get an aerial shot of Dee Why Beach and can just make out The Strand and possible placement of No.11. 
thanks again everyone for helping

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 13:14 BST (UK) »
TROVE
The Methodist, Sat 11 Dec, 1937
"Lady help, plain cooking, £1 weekly, liberal outings. Woods, 11 The Strand, Dee Why. Y8041"

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 September 17 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hanes tealu  -  Am I right....is the word "Woods" the name of the person wanting help.
If this is so that means that James Dargavel Copland would not have been in the shop until some time after 1937.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 September 17 00:53 BST (UK) »
There is a probate packet for James:

James Dargavel Copland - Date of Death 26/07/1959, Granted on 05/11/1959

You can see the current no11 on Street view:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place//@-33.7544623,151.2964625,3a,28.2y,266.14h,93.09t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sM5efGOiMedkwlcbLXINNrg!2e0?hl=en-au

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 September 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar.  Shame I. can't track down a photo of the building in the 1930's.  Very helpful