Author Topic: Blown up with twins  (Read 2171 times)

Offline FionaO

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blown up with twins
« on: Sunday 10 September 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

During a recent family gathering I heard a tale in connection with a family member and I'm trying to find out if it is true or not.
What I know to be true is that Violet Ivy OAKLEY was killed on 29 Nov 1940 as a result of injuries sustained when one of her sons brought home an unexploded bomb he'd found while out playing.  It then promptly blew up in his mothers hands! (Said child survived but lost half of one hand, part of his stomach and had to live with what he had done.)
Her death is included in the list of civilian casualties during WWII, so all appears to tie up.

Now I have been told there were also twins present when said mother died but I can't find any record of their births and have not previously heard of their deaths. Having looked on FindMyPast I can't see any press reports of this tragedy in the nationals about that date.

So my query is which local newspaper would cover a death in North Road, Streatham, London, November 1940? Or an inquest which would have been held?  And further, where can these papers/fiche be viewed?  And finally, if anybody is able and willing to have a look for me?

Hopeful as ever,
Fionaohyoucouldn'tmakeitup
Turner, Smith, Gibson, Harrison, Young, Boucher, Howells

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Blown up with twins
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
Her death is included in the list of civilian casualties during WWII, so all appears to tie up.

If her death is there, so would the death of twins be wouldn't it? Could she have been pregnant with twins at the time?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FionaO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hmm, yes, I did wonder if that might be the case.  It's all a bit odd as invariably her death is mentioned at most meetings (it's still shocking after almost 80 years) but I've not previously heard anything about twins.  That's really why I would like to see if the inquest was reported in the press as it may shed more light on the events.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 September 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Her CWGC entry here: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/3142746/oakley,-violet-ivy/

This states that although she was injured at North Road, she died the same day at Clayponds Emergency Hospital. The hospital was on Occupation Lane, South Ealing. Some info about it here: http://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/clayponds.html

The only death civilian or otherwise on 29th November 1940 was that of Violet Ivy Oakley.

Do you have any details about the twins? Names etc?

Hope this  helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline FionaO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 September 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks but I'm afraid I don't have any more info than I've given.  I was hoping press coverage would be of help with this query.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 September 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the 1939 Register on FindMyPast?

Just by doing a free search using the name Oakley, North Road, Middlesex, these are the results -

Albert A   Oakley   1925   
Albert E   Oakley   1896   
Violet ?   Oakley   1901
1 more person who is officially closed
Living at Ealing, Middlesex

Albert A Oakley born 1925 birth record -
q2 1925, Brentford
Vol 3a Page 257
MMN - Davis

As there is not another birth record matching that of Albert's then he cannot be a twin. Equally as there is only one more person within the household then it would appear there are no twins in the household as at 1939. Cannot see any Oakley twin births from 1939 - 1940.

Therefore as previously posted perhaps Violet was pregnant with twins.

JJ

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 September 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
As far as press coverage is concerned, it may not have made the papers as it was in the middle of the war.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 September 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
Forrest - Blantyre
McLellan - Dumfriesshire
McCracken - Dumfriesshire
Harkness - Dumfriesshire
Adamson - Dumfriesshire

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 September 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
Have I got this right  the accident happened in North Road Stretham yet the poor woman was taken
Over 12 miles passing several large hospitals some  with maternity units to a small Hospital @ west Ealing