Author Topic: Catholic Parish Register baptism entry for John FLEMMING, Cloyne, 11-07-1814  (Read 676 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
I think this is my first proper foray into looking closely at the Catholic Parish Registers on Ancestry.  I'm particularly interested in the individual John FLEMMING, but I'm having trouble interpreting the entry that might indicate his baptism.
So, on 11th July 1814 for Cloyne, Castle Town Roche, there are parents whose names seem to read as Patrick FLEMMING and Abby KEATEEN (?).  I'm not too clear what the column headed "Sponsor" means, and why in his case there seems to be only one name recorded, that of Bridget CANTY (?).  All the other entries on this double page seem to have two names in this column.  Would there be any significance in this?
Also, I presume the details were entered by an incumbent Catholic Priest - was the handwriting always this difficult to interpret.
Apologies for my ignorance, and any assistance will be gratefully received!
Many thanks, Keith

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Parish Register baptism entry for John FLEMMING, Cloyne, 11-07-1814
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:16 BST (UK) »
Link to baptism, number 155, left hand page.
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632864#page/27/mode/1up

Just to let you know while not searchable by name these registers are free on NLI so handy for posting a link to, also for have a look at the rest of the register for hints and clues.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Parish Register baptism entry for John FLEMMING, Cloyne, 11-07-1814
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Sinnan,
Thanks very much for that swift response to my query!  Still finding my way around these Irish records...
Keith

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
The sponsor(s) is the god parent, while usually there are two if you have a look at the rest of the page there are a few with only one.
The column after the child's name is the residence, C T R, Castletown Roche.

Filled in by the priest, and that writing isn't bad at all.:D

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
Looking at the child's name I think it is Jn, the Jn look very like the letters in Joan at  number 152.
Does Jn mean John? I think so but I'm not sure, Jn is used a lot and there is no full John written on any of the pages I looked at.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
Ancestry definitely have what looks like Jn transcribed as John.  I'm continuing a search for an individual called John FLEMMING that I began 10 years ago and have rather left hanging in the air.  The family folklore says that he was maybe born in Ireland in about 1815, and became a mariner, as did his namesake son.  Rather clutching at straws, but there are certainly many more Irish records on line now than there were a decade ago.  A pencilled entry on a scribble of a family tree suggests he may have come from Waterford, but nothing definite...
Keith