Author Topic: Sweden - Winckledeleigh (or similar)  (Read 638 times)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sweden - Winckledeleigh (or similar)
« on: Sunday 10 September 17 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is very vague and tentative.  A very distant cousin believes that my maternal line originated in Sweden under the name of Winckledeleigh - then onto Germany, France and finally England with the Huguenots (however, no such name seems to appear on lists of Huguenot names).  My DNA profile gives 15% Scandinavian.

Has anyone come across a name anything like this?

Cheers

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden - Winckledeleigh (or similar)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Estiman,

When would be the first known instance of a name in your line that sounded like this - or was spelled that way?

Has the name come down in another or similar sounding or spelled  form?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden - Winckledeleigh (or similar)
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly,

The source for this is the grandmother of a - very - distant cousin. She had apparently done some research but her sources are not documented. Timescale is summary in the extreme. According to her there was migration from Sweden via Germany and France, ending up in England with the Huguenots. The sources for Huguenot names that I have seen contain nothing resembling Winckledeleigh, or the shortened deformation, Winckley. 

I have reason to believe that my line may have been in Lancashire as early as first quarter of 16th century.  This does not tally with the supposed Huguenot connection.  As I said in my first post, this is very vague and tentative. Just hoping the name meant something to someone.

Cheers