Author Topic: Mary Lee, Wife of William Bailey, Married 1752 in Nottingham  (Read 2111 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Lee, Wife of William Bailey, Married 1752 in Nottingham
« on: Sunday 10 September 17 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

I am trying to find a baptism of the above person.
According to FREEREG, Mary Lee married William "Bayley" at St Peter's Church, Nottingham in 1752. They were apparently married by Licence.
Mary's abode appears to have been transcribed: "Bullcoat". I think this is most probably Bulcote, Nottinghamshire. William's abode has been transcribed: "Cathorp", or something like that. This is more than likely to be Caythorpe, which is not too far from Lowdham.
They settled in Lowdham, Notts and had five children there, baptised between 1755-1763.

I know this may be a long shot, but any information regarding the above would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Lee, Wife of William Bailey, Married 1752 in Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 September 17 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In Nottingham archives there are books with the marriage licence's in although they just have the same info but sometimes have who put up the bond, I'll have a look for you when I'm there later this week for any clues.

In the mean time there are a couple of possible christenings:

3 Feb 1723 Mary daughter of John and Sara at Woodborough

2 Jan 1735 Mary daughter of John at Claverton,

both not far from Bulcote

Bulcote is not on my disc but can have a look to see if there was any christening's there when I'm in the archives.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 September 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In Nottingham archives there are books with the marriage licence's in although they just have the same info but sometimes have who put up the bond, I'll have a look for you when I'm there later this week for any clues.

In the mean time there are a couple of possible christenings:

3 Feb 1723 Mary daughter of John and Sara at Woodborough

2 Jan 1735 Mary daughter of John at Claverton,

both not far from Bulcote

Bulcote is not on my disc but can have a look to see if there was any christening's there when I'm in the archives.

NG

Hello there,

Thank you very much for this. If you could have a look in the archives when you next go, that would be fantastic. Cheers!
I could not find a burial for Mary Bailey (was Lee) either.
Mary and William Bailey had a Daughter called Ruth, born in Lowdham in 1757. She was one of my ancestors.
Ruth married Thomas Whitt/Witt in Gonalston in 1781.
Then next, Ruth Whitt, married Henry Wright in Hoveringham, in around 1786.
I looked on Freereg, and in the meantime, there was a William "Bayley", of Lowdham, who married in Hoveringham, in 1770. But it does not say if this William was widowed or not.

Thanks once again.  :) ;)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 17 15:07 BST (UK) »
Ruth Bailey married Thomas WIT 22nd Jan 1781 in Gonalston. They had 1 son called John baptised 4 Nov 1781 in Gedling. Thomas WHITT was buried 2 Jan 1784 in Gedling, his abode listed as Stoke.
Ruth then married Henry Wright ( A widower- his wife was buried 12 July 1785) on 2nd Jan 1786 in Hoveringham. They had 8 children.
Henry Wright and Ruth were my 4x great grandparents.

Just to add confusion...and I will not be upset to be proven wrong on this, as I much prefer the facts. I have Ruth Bailey baptised 9 Sept 1757 in Lowdham, the 2nd daughter and 3rd child  of William Bailey and Mary Padley, who married 22nd Oct 1751 in Holme Pierrepont. This William could  have been a widower as there is a burial in Lowdham 1747 for an Elizabeth wife of William. Marriage Lowdham 28 Dec 1736 William Bayley and Elizabeth Caley.

There was another child born at Lowdham to William and Ruth.
 Baptised 24 Sept 1753 Sindonia . She was buried in Lowdham 25 Jun 1755
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
Ruth Bailey married Thomas WIT 22nd Jan 1781 in Gonalston. They had 1 son called John baptised 4 Nov 1781 in Gedling. Thomas WHITT was buried 2 Jan 1784 in Gedling, his abode listed as Stoke.
Ruth then married Henry Wright ( A widower- his wife was buried 12 July 1785) on 2nd Jan 1786 in Hoveringham. They had 8 children.
Henry Wright and Ruth were my 4x great grandparents.

Just to add confusion...and I will not be upset to be proven wrong on this, as I much prefer the facts. I have Ruth Bailey baptised 9 Sept 1757 in Lowdham, the 2nd daughter and 3rd child  of William Bailey and Mary Padley, who married 22nd Oct 1751 in Holme Pierrepont. This William could  have been a widower as there is a burial in Lowdham 1747 for an Elizabeth wife of William. Marriage Lowdham 28 Dec 1736 William Bayley and Elizabeth Caley.

There was another child born at Lowdham to William and Ruth.
 Baptised 24 Sept 1753 Sindonia . She was buried in Lowdham 25 Jun 1755

Thank you very much for this,

I didn't know that Ruth Bailey and Thomas Whitt, had a son. I didn't know also the date of when Thomas Whitt died either.
I didn't know about the marriage between William Bayley and Elizabeth Caley in 1736, so thanks very much for this also.
Regarding a marriage between William Bayley, and Mary Padley at Holme Pierrepont in 1751:
On Freereg, William's abode has been put down as: "St Mary's, Nottingham", on the date of the marriage. He has been transcribed as: "William Baillie". St Mary's (I think) was a parish in the city of Nottingham.
On Freereg for the marriage between Mary Lee, and William Bailey - transcribed this time "Bayley": William's abode at the time of marriage has been put down as: "Cathorp". This is most probably Caythorpe, which is quite near Lowdham. Mary Lee's abode has been put down as: "Bullcoat". This is probably most likely to be Bulcote, which is also quite near Lowdham.
Therefore on the balance of probability, I believe that the marriage between Mary Lee, and William Bailey to be the correct one for parents of our ancestor Ruth, baptised 1757 in Lowdham.

Family trees can sometimes be wrong of course. But I got my information through scouring the internet, looking at this tree, and then trying to check a few things out from it:
http://www.onerudyard.plus.com/genealogy/people/p0000004.htm#I1216
I am trying to think of reasons as to why Mary Lee, and William Bailey would have been married by Licence. Off the top of my head, could it have been possibly because of Mary's age?
Or could it also have been because William may have been a Widdower? If so, I think it may have been possible that William had previously married at Lowdham in 1736.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,  :)

I see nottsgirl1 has kindly offered her help, so I hope she doesn't mind if I post this to be going on with.

Bulcote is a is a chapelry of Burton Joyce.  (only 1 baptism for any Lee and that was 1900 and no Lee Burials at Burton Joyce.)

From my Nottinghamshire Marriage Licence disk....

26 Aug 1752 - William BAYLEY, of Caythorpe, p.Lowdham, 36, wid., & Mary LEE, of Bulcote, 22.; at St Peter's.

There are lots of Bailey folk buried in Lowdham, 15 named Mary.

Of the 15 there are 5 that could likely be yours between 1763 and 1801.
The first two stand out to me.... do you know what happened to the Mary baptised to William & Mary 3rd April 1763? ....

Burials at Lowdham St Mary the Virgin.

Mary Bailey - 10th July 1763 - inf.
Mary Bailey - 23rd Oct 1763 - no age given

Mary Bailey - 22nd Sept 1782 - no age given
Mary Bailey - 18th March 1800 - no age given
Mary Bailey - 16th Nov 1801 - no age given

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 10:37 BST (UK) »

I see nottsgirl1 has kindly offered her help, so I hope she doesn't mind if I post this to be going on with.

Bulcote is a is a chapelry of Burton Joyce.  (only 1 baptism for any Lee and that was 1900 and no Lee Burials at Burton Joyce.)

26 Aug 1752 - William BAYLEY, of Caythorpe, p.Lowdham, 36, wid., & Mary LEE, of Bulcote, 22.; at St Peter's.

There are lots of Bailey folk buried in Lowdham, 15 named Mary.

Of the 15 there are 5 that could likely be yours between 1763 and 1801.
The first two stand out to me.... do you know what happened to the Mary baptised to William & Mary 3rd April 1763? ....

Burials at Lowdham St Mary the Virgin.

Mary Bailey - 10th July 1763 - inf.
Mary Bailey - 23rd Oct 1763 - no age given

Mary Bailey - 22nd Sept 1782 - no age given
Mary Bailey - 18th March 1800 - no age given
Mary Bailey - 16th Nov 1801 - no age given

Thank you very much for this information regarding the marriage of Mary Lee, and William Bailey, in 1752. The fact that William has been put down as a Widow, may show that he could have previously been married in Lowdham, in 1736, as Larkspur found a marriage for a William Bailey there.
I don't know what happened to Mary Bailey baptised to William and Ruth in 1763. But I think there is a good chance that she could have been buried in Lowdham on the 10th of July 1763. Especially if she has been put down as "infant", on the burial record.

I had a look on Freereg. On Freereg there is a marriage between a William Bailey "of the parish of Lowdham", and Mary Sayers, at Hoveringham. They were married on the 8th of May 1770.
Of course, it does not say on Freereg if this William Bailey was widowed or not. There is a chance that this could have been my William Bailey, but I'm not sure: William Bailey and Mary, did have a son called William, who was baptised in Lowdham in 1755. Would this make that William Bailey too young to get married? I wander if there is any chance that you have that marriage from 1770 on disc also please?  :)

If that marriage between William Bailey and Mary Sayers is the same William, then the Mary Bailey buried the 23 of October 1763 in Lowdham could be correct. It also corresponds with the fact that the last child between the pair (Mary), and the last baptism that I can find for children born from the pair, ends in 1763.

Cheers.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 10:49 BST (UK) »

Regarding a baptism for William Bailey: I found this on Family Search: There was a "William Baily", baptised at Lowdham on the 17th of July 1716. He was a son of a Francis Baily, and a Mary:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JQ6W-5RJ

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 13:16 BST (UK) »

Hi,

No I don't mind  Dizzifish any thing that  help find the info quicker is always welcome.  The info you gave is only what I would have found so RRB can now move on with his research.

Thank you Dizzifish.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;