Author Topic: Mary Lee, Wife of William Bailey, Married 1752 in Nottingham  (Read 2115 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Lee, Wife of William Bailey, Married 1752 in Nottingham
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
"Regarding a marriage between William Bayley, and Mary Padley at Holme Pierrepont in 1751:
On Freereg, William's abode has been put down as: "St Mary's, Nottingham", on the date of the marriage. He has been transcribed as: "William Baillie". St Mary's (I think) was a parish in the city of Nottingham.
On Freereg for the marriage between Mary Lee, and William Bailey - transcribed this time "Bayley": William's abode at the time of marriage has been put down as: "Cathorp". This is most probably Caythorpe, which is quite near Lowdham. Mary Lee's abode has been put down as: "Bullcoat". This is probably most likely to be Bulcote, which is also quite near Lowdham.
Therefore on the balance of probability, I believe that the marriage between Mary Lee, and William Bailey to be the correct one for parents of our ancestor Ruth, baptised 1757 in Lowdham."

You are probably correct. I think maybe why I discounted them as the Lowdham William & Mary, was due to the baptisms of 2 children in Nottingham, St Mary. Rebecca Bailey on 15 Nov 1754 and William Baillie on 16 Nov 1757.
There was a Mary Lee baptised 9 Jun 1729 dau of Joseph & Ann at Nottingham, St Mary.
 Also this one 20 Oct 1733 Mary dau of William & Mary Lees at Bramcote.
Gedling, All Hallows
Name:   John Whytt
Christening Date:   4 Nov 1781
Christening Place:   Gedling, Nottinghamshire, England
Father:   Thomas Whytt
Mother:   Ruth
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hello,  :)

I see nottsgirl1 has kindly offered her help, so I hope she doesn't mind if I post this to be going on with.

Hi,

No I don't mind  Dizzifish any thing that  help find the info quicker is always welcome.  The info you gave is only what I would have found so RRB can now move on with his research.

Thank you Dizzifish.

NG

Thank you very much to both of you,

It just would be interesting to know if there was a name of a person who put up the marriage bond, when Mary Lee and William Bailey were married.  :)
Regarding a baptism for Mary Lee, corresponding to her age at marriage, I found one baptised at Nottingham St Marys in 1729, the daughter of a Joseph and an Ann. I found it on family search: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NVCC-Y61
That is the closest I can get.  :) ;)

Cheers.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
"Regarding a marriage between William Bayley, and Mary Padley at Holme Pierrepont in 1751:
On Freereg, William's abode has been put down as: "St Mary's, Nottingham", on the date of the marriage. He has been transcribed as: "William Baillie". St Mary's (I think) was a parish in the city of Nottingham.
On Freereg for the marriage between Mary Lee, and William Bailey - transcribed this time "Bayley": William's abode at the time of marriage has been put down as: "Cathorp". This is most probably Caythorpe, which is quite near Lowdham. Mary Lee's abode has been put down as: "Bullcoat". This is probably most likely to be Bulcote, which is also quite near Lowdham.
Therefore on the balance of probability, I believe that the marriage between Mary Lee, and William Bailey to be the correct one for parents of our ancestor Ruth, baptised 1757 in Lowdham."

You are probably correct. I think maybe why I discounted them as the Lowdham William & Mary, was due to the baptisms of 2 children in Nottingham, St Mary. Rebecca Bailey on 15 Nov 1754 and William Baillie on 16 Nov 1757.
There was a Mary Lee baptised 9 Jun 1729 dau of Joseph & Ann at Nottingham, St Mary.
 Also this one 20 Oct 1733 Mary dau of William & Mary Lees at Bramcote.
Gedling, All Hallows
Name:   John Whytt
Christening Date:   4 Nov 1781
Christening Place:   Gedling, Nottinghamshire, England
Father:   Thomas Whytt
Mother:   Ruth
Thank you very much for this information once again Larkspur,  ;)

Regarding a baptism for Mary, the one that you mentioned for the year 1729, would be the closest that I can get to for one that would fit for Mary's recorded age at marriage in 1752.
I didn't come across the Bramcote baptism for Mary Lees in 1733. Where is that one from please?
I have just come across a Mary Lees baptism for the 8th of December 1734, at St. Peter's Church, Nottingham. I found that on Freereg. The interesting thing for this one is that the baptism occurred in the same church that Mary Lee and William Bailey were married in.  :)  :)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 13:58 BST (UK) »
"26 Aug 1752 - William BAYLEY, of Caythorpe, p.Lowdham, 36, wid., & Mary LEE, of Bulcote, 22.; at St Peter's."

"I have just come across a Mary Lees baptism for the 8th of December 1734, at St. Peter's Church, Nottingham. I found that on Freereg. The interesting thing for this one is that the baptism occurred in the same church that Mary Lee and William Bailey were married in."

If the baptism is correct she would have been 18 (ish) years old. One reason for a licence maybe? Although why 22 on the marriage.Someone getting confused or telling fibbies  :o
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have been into the archives this morning and had a look at the marriage licence book says the same as Larkspur has put above and had a word with a member of staff and they said the reason for the Licence was because they were not living in St Peter's parish as to be married by banns would need to be living in the parish.

Hope this help

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 September 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have been into the archives this morning and had a look at the marriage licence book says the same as Larkspur has put above and had a word with a member of staff and they said the reason for the Licence was because they were not living in St Peter's parish as to be married by banns would need to be living in the parish.

Hope this help

NG

Thank you very much for looking for me.  :)
So the reason that they were married by Licence was because they weren't living in the parish of St. Peter's - not because Mary was lying about her age.
If that is the case, then the baptism that Larkspur found for Mary Lee baptised in 1729 in Nottingham, may be the closest that we can get for her age at the time of marriage in 1752.  :)

Cheers.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 September 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi RRB,

Yes the Mary Lee 1729 could well be the one, St Mary and St Peters churches are very close only abt 5 minutes walk from one to the other.   St Peter's Church is now a cafe and is surrounded by shops the main one being Marks and Spencers.

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 September 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
I've found out through Freereg that this Mary Lee may have been the Daughter of a Joseph Lee, and an Anne Kirk. They were married on the 5th of July 1728, at St. Mary's, Nottingham. Joseph was possibly a widow.
There was an Anne Kirk who was baptised in Arnold, on the 5th of November 1706, the daughter of a Jonathan, and an Anne. I found this on Freereg. I typed in "Bulcote/ Burton Joyce" and "Nearby Places". This was the only baptism that came up.

Regarding Joseph Lee: The only one I could find for this area, was a baptism on the 6th of January 1685, at Nottingham St. Mary's. He was a son of a: "Mr. Thomas Lee", and a Dorothy.

I found the baptism of Mary Lee in 1729, at St. Mary's, Nottingham, within this "nearby places" search.

I then looked up a burial for a Joseph Lee in the same area on Freereg: I think I found three. There was one in 1755, one in 1785, and one around 1804.
The first date I found was at Calverton buried on the 17th of April 1755. In the notes on that burial it said:
"Stockiner- last of the family of stocking Frame inventor Lee on this parish".

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 September 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi RRB,

Had a look on my disc and found that Joseph and Ann also had a son William christened 23 June 1730 at St Marys.

Found a number of burials for Joseph;
St Marys, 21 Feb 1738, 23 Oct 1752 and 31 May 1793
Arnold St Mary's 13 Oct 1776, 4 Oct 1785 there is a Will for this one, 14 Jan 1793 again there is a Will and 17 June 1804.

Cannot see one 1755 on my disc.

NG