Author Topic: History of my Home  (Read 1496 times)

Offline emilytx

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
History of my Home
« on: Sunday 10 September 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I wondered if anyone could help me; it might seem like a strange task! We are interested in looking into the history a previous home. We're interested in the history of the home and those nearby, and the people who lived there before us. We believe the house was built around the 1920's on Longmoor Road in Long Eaton.

The 1939 Register shows the houses were known by names i.e. "Oaklands" and different house numbers. This makes it a bit harder to trace back as we only have the current house number to go off.

After looking at available maps, there are still no clues or things that stand out to us. None of the houses have plaques or stones with the previous names on as some older houses do.

Any tips would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: History of my Home
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 September 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
A warm welcome to Rootschat :)

You could ask at your nearest library where the old electoral rolls are kept, these should tell you who was registered to vote at the house over the years.

Some of your neighbours in similar houses may have the original deeds to their house which may tell you who owned the land before the houses were built.

You may get a surprise, our fist house was built in 1929, we bought it from two elderly ladies who moved in with  their parents the day it was built, the couple we sold it to are still there, so only three owners in 87 years.

Both the next door houses were still on only their second owners when we moved.

All typical pre war semis.

Others will have more ideas

Regards
Mike

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 September 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
You can ask the Land Registry for a copy of the deeds

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/copies-of-deeds
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 17 22:56 BST (UK) »
.since you appear to have the current number of your house on Longmoor Lane ( and haven't shared it with us )....why don't you log on to "Google Earth"..which you may or may not know is totally free...then you can have liitle stroll along Longmoor Lane until you come to the aforementioned known number.............or you could send me PM with the number, and I'll go and have a look for you, as I live not ten minutes away from there..........you could also send your email..via PM........Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 September 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Emily

You could also have a look through street directories (eg Kellys) for the relevant years which may tell you the residents and the neighbours.

The University of Leicester has an impressive  selection:

Historical Directories for England & Wales.

For my own similar research I kept an eye open for sales on ebay and second hand book shops and picked up a copy of the 1960 Kelly's for Leicester a couple of years ago.

Alan

Also sent you a PM
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 September 17 09:25 BST (UK) »

Hi Emily,

There's a book by Julie Myerson, 'Home' :

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Story-Everyone-Lived-House/dp/0007148232

Which details how she researched everyone who had ever lived in her house, as well as researching the house itself, and what was there before it was built.

I really enjoyed it, and it sounds as though it might be right up your street!

Romilly :)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 September 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
You can ask the Land Registry for a copy of the deeds

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/copies-of-deeds

Thank you for the link Shaun.  We've just moved into the ground floor 3 bedroomed flat of a large house and would like to know the history of the house, as would the people in the top floor flat, which is also three bedroomed (it would have been identical to ours but ours has been extended over the years) - the house was built about 1925 and converted into two flats in the 1960s.  I did look on the 1939 register and found the names of the people living in the house.  It must have been a large house, yet the owner seems to have been a carpenter, he lived there with his wife and various other people, a retired shipping clerk, a school teacher, a companion, someone with private means and two people with their names redacted. I guess they were children of the carpenter and his wife who were aged 38 and 36 at the time of the 1939 census.  Perhaps the carpenter didn't own the house but everyone just rented rooms in the house, each room is large enough to be a bedsit. Of course, we do have a copy of the original lease when the house was divided into two flats, so maybe the deeds won't show us much more than that.

ps.  Should have said I don't live in Derbyshire (although I did many years ago), just wanted to thank you for the link.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 September 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
.since you appear to have the current number of your house on Longmoor Road ( and haven't shared it with us )....why don't you log on to "Google Earth"..which you may or may not know is totally free...then you can have liitle stroll along Longmoor Road until you come to the aforementioned known number.............or you could send me PM with the number, and I'll go and have a look for you, as I live not ten minutes away from there..........you could also send your email..via PM........Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....