Author Topic: bastard settlement cases in northamptonshire  (Read 5814 times)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: bastard settlement cases in northamptonshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi.

fedupp what is the name of the person that you are enquiring after in case there is a bastardy order.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
KGarrad thanks. Wow ! That certainly makes a statement then ! All 6 of them ! So would it have been quite common to do this ? I was thinking of a  person who was born 1890 . For that time would it have been a common thing to do ? Would it tell everyone ....like hey , the father was actually ********  , and even though he isn't or can't stand  up to his resonsibilities ...we want everyone to know who he ( the father)  is ??
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
  Hi sandy. One person I was. Thinking about was a lady called. Alice loveday Freeman born 13th nov 1890 , baptised 15 th feb 1891. Great weldon .mother mary ann freeman.
                Thanks
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
Loveday is also just a christian name as well as a Surname.
If you put Loveday, just christian name, no surname, into births on FreeBMD there are 100's of them.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
Trish1120.thanks ,I did realise it was also a christian name ,though I didn't realise it was that common and especialy in that area !
          Ref . Alice ,there were a couple of lovedays ( surname ) living nearby in weldon around that time . Just thought it may be a hint /statement ?? Could be wrong ?
      Think there was a baptist minister called loveday in weldon. Could have been he was kind to someone in freeman family or ....there could be no significance at all ?? Who knows !
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 12:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, any of those reasons could be possible for why she has Loveday as a second name.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Was Alice Loveday Freeman brought up in workhouse ?
My grandmother was boarded out as a baby her birth mother took the birth father to court  in 1900 in local parish she received payment called Affiliation Order  for weekly payments.   

It probably helped her case to give the man's surname as a middle name for the baby .
Once she.d obtained the settlement she babtised the baby with a different middle name !

DNA of  descendants of a  mutual grandfather to the baby has proved that she had not lied about paternity !

Good luck with your search
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 September 17 07:30 BST (UK) »
Bridgidmac. Thank you for that.very interesting. 
    Ref. Alice Loveday Freeman. No , she was not brought up in a workhouse .....but by her grandparents. 
 In the 1891 census she is recorded as being with the family as .... Loveday. A Freeman ,.grand daughter.
   In the 1901 census she is still with family as Alice Freeman..........daughter !!  She was brought up as another daughter rather than grand daughter.  We are not sure if  Alice ever knew that the person she called her eldest sister...... ..was... Actually her mother ?? I have her birth mothers  obituary in which Alice is mentioned as her....sister.
 So...did some person in the family have  the courage to  say to her ... ..hey , did you know that your eldest sister is actually your mother ???
 So diid she know ...or didn't she...??
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero

Offline fedupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 September 17 08:38 BST (UK) »
 Just a thought. Alice must have had to produce a birth cert. At sometime , wether when starting work ,passport or other reason ?  Though She would probably had a short cert. Which would not have shown her parent / mothers name !?
 Hmm......?   
 I am told , though, that in later years  a daughter of Alice always called. Alices birth mother aunty #####
Rather than gran/ granny .
So maybe Alice really didn't know ??
Fleming,o'connor/connor
Morgan,lewis,freeman,
Glithero