Author Topic: Vanishing G Grandad  (Read 3386 times)

Offline rainecooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vanishing G Grandad
« on: Monday 11 September 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
I have hit a dead end. My great grandma was Frances Ann Raine born in 1898 in north biddick. She married my great grandad William Cooper born 2nd April 1897 in Gateshead. They married in 1914 and had 2 children William Cooper 1/10/1918 and Edward Raine Cooper in 1921. I have found other possible children but none survived but i can't get a definite answer as to wether they are their children so i would be grateful if anyone could help with that.
Now the biggest mystery is this.... GGrandad William walked out on my Ggran and the two boys in around 1924. My grandad was around 6 and can remember him leaving. After this i can find no trace of Ggrandad at all. I did find a william cooper born 4/4/1897 in gateshead so there is a slight dob change. He was in ww1 and enlisted without giving any details of a wife. He was a deserter and spent time in custody. After his release he changed his name to Carr but kept his dob the same. He went on to enlist in ww2 where he was a pow in Burma. Once he came back home he never married and died in gateshead in 1973. I have contacted one of his relatives who is certain that he could not possibly be my ggrandad and i showed him a photo of my grandad but he is sure there's no resemblance. So i am totally stuck now. I can't find any other William Cooper born in april 1897 in gateshead. I just don't know where to go next. If someone could help with both william b1897 and the possible children i would really appreciate it. Thanks

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vanishing G Grandad
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 September 17 02:03 BST (UK) »
"Children William Cooper 1/10/1918 and Edward Raine Cooper in 1921" births registered in the Houghton-le-Spring area. Mother formerly Raine.

William Cooper (1918), Edward Raine Cooper (1921) and mother Frances Ann Cooper (1896) are on Find My Past, 1939 Register in Hetton. You would have to subscribe to get the full details. That would include their address, occupations and birth dates

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 September 17 02:58 BST (UK) »
I've just seen a tree on Ancestry which I'm guessing could be yours since it states how he walked out on the family.   However, attached is a Pension Record and also a Service Record BUT these records are for 2 different people.   

The Pension record is for someone born in Gateshead whose mother was Agnes of 7 Walker St., Teany, Gateshead - service no. 4088.

The Service record is for someone born in Chester le Street whose father was William of 17 Grahamsley St., Gateshead in 1919 (census shows his mother was named Margaret).

How do you know his birthdate and where he was actually born?   Do you have the marriage certificate confirming his age, address,  that his father was named William, and occupation of both of them at that time?  Is either of the two records above definitely him?

With such a common name the marriage certificate and information on it is vital to ensure you are following the right man.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 17 08:32 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD is showing a possible 6 children?

All born Cooper, Mother's Maiden Name as Raine:

June qtr 1915, Houghton Registration District, Gladys (died 1916)
March qtr 1917, Houghton RD, John (died 1917)
December qtr 1918, Houghton RD, William
March qtr 1921, Houghton RD, Edward R
June qtr 1925, Houghton RD, Alice (died 1925)
September qtr 1926, Houghton RD, Ronald (died 1928)

Jean Raine, born in September qtr 1928, was re-registered as Cooper in 1932 following a marriage between George Cooper and Barbara Raine in 1930!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rainecooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Barryd
Thank you for your reply. I do know my grandad william and his brother edward's past really well as we were all close along with ggran frances ann's past which my mam can remember. I will definitely have a look on the site you mentioned though. It was late when i posted lastnight so i'll update the relevant dob's today. Thanks

Offline rainecooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 September 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette7
Thanks for your help. I had help from an ancestry member with some records of Williams and i didn't notice the difference in details.

My mam does have the marriage certificate so i will ask her for it to check and i will have a look at the records too.

Thank you for helping me as i'm still quite new to this x

Offline rainecooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 September 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi KGarrad
Thanks for your reply.
Ronald and Jean are not possibilities as my ggran was seperated in 1924. I was questioning Gladys, John, Alice. Parents William Cooper and Frances Ann Raine so that rules out Jean. Thank you for your help.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 September 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
rainecooper - can we please ask that you find out all the exact details that are on the marriage certificate that your Mum has.   It is so important in helping us to establish which William Cooper is indeed 'your' man.

As to the births - there is only one early Cooper/Raine marriage and that is William and France's in 1914 so I would say that the Gladys b.1915 and John b.1917 who birth died as infants were their children but the only way to be sure is buy purchasing the birth certificates.   As to Alice b.1925 who knows? Only certificates can confirm things.  There isn't another way to confirm it.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rainecooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 September 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Annette7
sorry about not giving you all of the details.