Author Topic: photo negative to convert to photo  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: photo negative to convert to photo
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't you just love to know what the person second from the right is doing?  Seems to be leaning forward over a rail - or something.    :-\ ;D
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 00:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Wiggy and Andy, your words are much appreciated. As you say Andy is is a wonderful photo and I'm sure it was just a snapshot taken without any posing, but the whole composition really works.
I always find it fascinating to see a photo emerge from an unrecognisable mass and by a lot of tweeking with different sections of the  programme to get a result that faces can be recognised.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 00:44 BST (UK) »
Wiggy, do you think it could be a child and mother sat next to him is saying 'what are you doing?' I like the girl sat on the grass with a drink in her hand, in fact there could be another one there as well, almost hidden. It is a lovely photo.
Pat
Jackson- Lancaster
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

Offline gvgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 00:49 BST (UK) »

Offline gvgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Wiggy and Andy, your words are much appreciated. As you say Andy is is a wonderful photo and I'm sure it was just a snapshot taken without any posing, but the whole composition really works.
I always find it fascinating to see a photo emerge from an unrecognisable mass and by a lot of tweeking with different sections of the  programme to get a result that faces can be recognised.
Pat

I really couldn't tell much about the photo from the negative but you have all made me appreciate the composition.  I feel like it tells an unfinished story.  Since I think I recognize my grandmother and my two aunts, her daughters, I'm guessing the picture was taken in the early 50's in west central Illinois.  Thanks for your efforts.  They are much appreciated.

Offline gvgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 00:55 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't you just love to know what the person second from the right is doing?  Seems to be leaning forward over a rail - or something.    :-\ ;D

Not only that, I'd love to know who it is.  It appears to be a young girl.  Perhaps she is setting something down for my Aunt Shirley seated there? 

Carol in Washington state.

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
First of all, by accident or design, I think that the composition of this photograph is exquisite. I don't like singling out any particular restore as everything is subjective but in this case, it is Pats version that speaks to me. With a little more 'spotting' it would look like an impressionist painting and I think that, in this case, I would prefer this to a sharp, in focus regular print.

Edit to add.... I should like to see what MartynS made of this.... I think its right up his alley!

HP - Absolutely 100% agree with you this would most definitely be a perfect scene for artistic freedom. It is a good scene for trying to work some bolder colours, light ambience into it. I would also steer well clear of trying to make it sharp - it would ruin the image curiosity and effect of "Whats going on here then"...less is more in terms of detail on this one i think for the purpose of creating art....

Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Good quality size scans will mean much better restores >> hint hint :-)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
I do hope you don't mind, I have had a play with some colour.
I now think the figure bending over could be tending a barbecue, although the lady sitting would seem to be a little near. The lady in the dark patterned dress appears to be eating something like a burger in a bun and there is a lady half obscured, standing near the tree, with a plate in her hand.
Pat
Jackson- Lancaster
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

Offline gvgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 01:12 BST (UK) »
I do hope you don't mind, I have had a play with some colour.
I now think the figure bending over could be tending a barbecue, although the lady sitting would seem to be a little near. The lady in the dark patterned dress appears to be eating something like a burger in a bun and there is a lady half obscured, standing near the tree, with a plate in her hand.
Pat
Oh my gosh!  This blows me away!   The woman with eating the hamburger is my grandmother.  The one to the right side is my aunt.  Seeing the two in front in color makes them look a lot like my aunt and uncle - and you even got her hair the right color.  This now looks almost like a painting.  Thank you Pat.    Carol