Author Topic: Meeson family  (Read 1548 times)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Meeson family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 September 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
At the risk of turning this research into a plot line for an Arnold Bennett novel, here is my (hopefully) final contribution.

William Samuel Meeson married Mary Hogan in Leek, Dec Qtr, 1900, 6b, page 594.

If the marriage went quickly and horribly wrong, William could be back with his parents in Silverdale in time for the 1901 Census.  The Census might record him as single (I've not checked) but that could be accounted for by dismay, disappointment or shame.

I know this is fanciful but the dates are all roughly in line.  A certificate or two would test out the ideas.

BB

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 September 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
1901 census - RG13/2585 folio 166 page 8

William Meeson aged 26, Chemical Worker, born Burslem and son of William and Sarah is stated to be MARRIED.

Added:  there is no indication of a wife for William within the household

The 1900 marriage certificate for William S Mason would have to be purchased, as it was a Civil Marriage.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Davestringer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 September 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of this. I very much suspect that there was a common law arrangement between William and Florence. I remember William from my childhood and I resemble him facially and was told that everyone wanted him as their favourite grandad. Little did we know that he may have been keeping a skeleton or two in the cupboard!!! Especially as Florence was apparently a very prim and proper person!!! Interestingly the original death certificate (of which I have the original) named him as Mason. Also Sarah Tittle was known in the family as Mama Tittle and did much of the early parenting for my father and his brother. My Uncle is one of the last of that generation alive but he can shed little light on the story and was even unaware that Florence had the maiden name of Tittle. As you say a new Arnold Bennett novel has already been scripted out!!! Do you know if the Cheddleton St Edwards hospital records are available to view?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 September 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Cheddleton - Staffordshire Record Office

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 September 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
Is it just co-incidence that you're asking about St Edward's Hospital or are there family rumours to follow up concerning William's first wife?  You might need to check line-by-line entries for Mary Hogan Meeson in the 1901 Census for patients at St Edward's, and at the Wolstanton & Burslem Union workhouse hospital at Chell, and the County Asylum at Stafford.  A catastrophic mental breakdown would be one answer as to what happened.

BB