Author Topic: A funny thing happened with Ancestry today  (Read 1417 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A funny thing happened with Ancestry today
« on: Monday 11 September 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
I subscribe to Ancestry - just UK records and use the site Ancestry.co.uk. Today I had an email to say that another Ancestry member had sent me a message. So I pressed the link in the email to read my message on the Ancestry site.
I didn't realise at first that it had taken me to the Ancestry.com site. After reading my message and sending a reply. I happened to glance at the top of the webpage and was surprised to see the shopping cart had one item in it.
I viewed the cart and a 14 day free trial of Ancestry world records had been put in there. If I hadn't noticed the item and removed it from the cart, would they, after the 14 days were up, have charged my credit card, since they have the details for auto renewal of my UK sub.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A funny thing happened with Ancestry today
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 September 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Well I guess that's one way for them to get some new members !

In all seriousness I would email them and ask them to comment as surely things like that should not happen.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 September 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
I have been on Ancestry of and on today LizzieL and nothing like that has happened to me (thank goodness).

I would follow the advice from davidft or telephone them just to make certain they do not charge your credit card.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
As with all such "orders" you have the option to cancel before the fourteen days are up.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
As with all such "orders" you have the option to cancel before the fourteen days are up.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

Yes, but it was only by chance that I noticed something had popped into my shopping cart. I could have closed the website without seeing it and not gone back for much longer than 14 days, because I use the .co.uk site not .com. It was only that I used a link from an email, that I found I had gone to the dot com site.
I deleted it from the cart straight away. I did have problems with the site recognising my password, but found the dot com site had my old email address and had to reset password.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 12:14 BST (UK) »
Like all online shops, if it was showing in your shopping cart, then you hadn't actually accepted or completed the order. Even if you left it there nothing would have happened (it should clear itself when you close your browser, but even then the order would never be completed).
Ancestry continually try and sell you things using sneaky popups which you can inadvertently accept instead of clearing sometimes unknowingly. I have managed this several times with the DNA testing popup in my haste to remove it from the screen.

Simon