Author Topic: NSW Lockley descendants? Holden;Reed; Willcocks;Hunter  (Read 14421 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Lockley descendants? Holden;Reed; Willcocks;Hunter
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
1861 England Census.
Willenhall, Staffordshire.

Thomas Lockley, head, 49
Sarah Lockley, wife, 47.
Thomas Lockley, 21, son, um, locksmith.
George Lockey, 19, son, um.
Samuel, Lockley, 15, son, um.
Joseph Lockley, 10, son.
Henry Lockley, 7, son.

Gerry

There's a tree on FamilySearch which has linked this family to the 1861 which says the mother was Sarah Ainsworth. 

However if you look for those names and ages on the GRO the likely MMN is Overend.

Yes you are correct and also:

LOCKLEY, HANNAH mmn OVEREND 
GRO Reference: 1838  J Quarter in THE WOLVERHAMPTON UNION  Volume 17  Page 352

LOCKLEY, MARY  ANN mmn OVEREND     
GRO Reference: 1844  D Quarter in MARTLEY  Volume 18  Page 405

LOCKLEY, JAMES mmn OVEREND
GRO Reference: 1848  S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON & SEISDON  Volume 17  Page 349

J.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you one and all for your contributions
I think the time has come to close this topic as there is much for me to still do, and collate, with the Australian side. I don't want to spend time with the history here, that will be another lengthy saga.

I can also be contacted via PM if any relatives want to do that.

Thanks again
Pauline.

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Update on Thomas
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
I did promise an update on any further developments regarding my enquiries about the family of Thomas and am pleased to say that, thanks to the support of some wonderful Roots Chatters and some new documentation, it has been confirmed that I was researching the correct person. I have now learned that not only did Thomas originate from Staffordshire, true, but also prior to settling for 44 years in Sydney he was previously in Western Australia for 14yrs.(doing his sentence)  I hope that the fact that he was a once a convict has not upset anyone who did not know. This was never my intention. It was a complete surprise to my family too. But we should all be aware that research can sometimes open a can of worms!  However, as his story unfolded I, and people who followed the years of research with me, genuinely say that they are full of admiration for the man. I. for one will miss him. I have now taken his line here in the UK back to the late 1600's and so am quite satisfied with that. Case closed! Time for a break Thank you all again.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Thomas
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 05 October 17 00:51 BST (UK) »
Although you do not cite the nature of your new documentation, I am sure all the team here will be pleased to hear of your outcome and delighted you chose, after all, to publish the news on the open board instead of merely by Personal Message to those requesting it.

Personally I find it regrettable that the family connections you mention may perceive Thomas' history as part of a "can of worms". It is wonderful that you do not share their prejudice.

Our nation was built upon the labour and sacrifice of such convict people.
Their fortitude and skill in dealing with adversity has placed us as a strong young nation and many of those who find a convict in their heritage boast of it.

Perhaps your  family connections will find some worthwhile literature and readings to put things in a different light, and acquire a fuller education of those nation-building times.

Thorough research can be such an enlightening experience. 

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 05 October 17 07:07 BST (UK) »
Yes well done Pauline  :)   You were right to be proud of him.  :)

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Online annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 05 October 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hear, hear!!  :)
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Saturday 07 October 17 02:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the Global Moderator for merging the threads. 

Good to read that our OP has been able to join the dots with some official NSW records, as that’s a great way to start towards establishing contact other family history buffs interested in the families in rural NSW in the years prior to WWI. 

May I again mention
 :) that the introduction to Robert Hughes book shows he led a team of researchers who investigated convictism in NSW, Norfolk Island and Tasmania.  Hughes, of course, was based in New York, as an Art Critic among his many talents.  There are many other well qualified researchers who have investigated the WA convict records.  WA’s convictism was different from all other transportation systems in that it was at the request of the colony, it was only men, it was focused on rehabilitation and it was long after all the other British colonies in the Antipodes had rejected convictism.  As an aside, as Thomas could read and write, he was able to communicate with his UK family via the usual mail service.  He was earning an income while under sentence.
 :) Australian Joint Copying Project filmed the W.A. convict records back in the 1940s, and those records had been available to researchers long before then and continue to be readily available at many public libraries both here in Australia and in the UK.  Ancestry has uploaded some of the images in a commercial partnership arrangement with the Archives in W.A.
 :) The parish registers of St Lukes, Junee (re the 1891 marriage) were filmed back in the 1980s and those images provided to the National Library of Australia and to SAG, Sydney at that time.  They continue to be readily available.  The parish register will contain the information that the bride and the groom provided to the clergyman and which the NSW BDM does not yet include in their summary registration of that marriage.

One set of grandparents for one of my parents and one set of grandparents for one of the parents of my third cousin are, of course, the same two people.   My third cousin’s OTHER set of grandparents are descendants of the couple who married in 1891 at St Lukes Vicarage, Junee, NSW.   So my second cousin has been interested in family history for many many decades, long before it became a fashionable hobby.  There is no reason for any RChatter to assume that any descendant of the couple who has an interest in family history is somehow unaware that Thomas had been convicted of the manslaughter of a policeman.  There is no reason for any RChatter to assume there’s any need to sensationalise or to supress that long held knowledge or to introduce expressions like ‘can of worms’.   He is simply one of many ancestors of the current generation, no more and no less.  He is not one of the many ancestors of the children of Ellen and her husband Edward Hunter. 

Perhaps some RChatters have shared PMs that may have been read as discrediting me personally.   If so, then to me, that is disappointing to the concept of RChat.  It is not something that distracts me. I have simply taken the RChat option to block them from sending any further PMs to me.   There are seven RChatters on that ignore list, most have been there for years.

I am sure that when my 3rd cousin has the time that they will consider if they wish to contact our OP to compare research on their shared ancestors, the parents of Thomas whose NSW death cert notes his 44 years in NSW and 14 years in WA.

I notice the OP has marked the thread complete.

JM   
Add:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/136294920 Canberra Times 14 March 1987.

... Much that is written and said about this book is quite misleading. This is not the ‘definitive’ work on the history of transportation.  It lacks a thesis and adds little that is new to our understanding.  Much of what is interpretative is taken from the work of others.  Hughes does have some documents ‘never before consulted’ but professional historians have done considerable work on convicts over the last 30 years and have in fact used a number of documents featured. ...

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ness81_2007

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline
I found this chat, only today, so very new to all this. Not sure how to even contact you by another means as of yet.
I wanted to throw another piece into your puzzle, so to speak, as I am related to Charles Henry Willcocks. He was my Great Grandfather.
One of Charles Henry Willcocks sisters, Florence Willcocks married Frederick Charles Lockley. Frederick Charles was the son of Thomas Lockley.
I'm sure you know most of this already, but it explains where the connection is.