Author Topic: NSW Lockley descendants? Holden;Reed; Willcocks;Hunter  (Read 14443 times)

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Lockley descendants? Holden;Reed; Willcocks;Hunter
« Reply #54 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:03 BST (UK) »
ROS

Thanks again.

2007 death - so near & so far

Will check Junee church out now I have that link. See where that takes me.

Pauline

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
Sparret

I really appreciate your advice. I will do exactly that.
People would not believe how many attempts I have lost - even lost the will to live over this.
There's just NO way you can retrieve an hours work.

(shhh... been in my pj's for 2 days in front of this pc!)
thanks
Pauline

The losing is a common occurrence and frustrating indeed. :o

Also very common is the nightwear still on at midday due to excessive engrossment in thread ;D

Now, back to the serious stuff of your inquiry.
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 15 September 17 00:56 BST (UK) »
Please, please, please get out your copy of both the 1862 and 1891 marriage certificates, and take a snip of the signatures of Thomas and post these two for comparsion here or on the decipher board.   

Please also re-read my posts, particularly the one where I provided the link to the thread to help overcome the elusive blanks on NSW BDM marriage certificates.   Your Melbourne friends were NOT issued with any abridged version because they were not family.  NSW BDM does not issue abridged versions.  Whoever gave them that information was giving false and mis-leading information and ought to be kicked from here to WhoopWhoop and back.  Here's the link again. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Re marrying in the vicarage rather than inside a Church building....  There has never been a requirement for marriages in NSW to be conducted in any consecrated building.   The ceremony can be conducted in the open air, and many were and still are. 

Re losing posts....
Perhaps if you type your replies into a word document and when ready then login and copy those posts to the dialogue box?  (Oops, add to note, I see Sue has already suggested that)

Re 'The Fatal Shore' .... the author (the late Robert Hughes) in the preamble clearly acknowledges he is writing about the convict system as it existed in NSW, Norfolk Island and Tasmania.    He was not writing about the convict system as it existed in Western Australia.   Even Ancestry's background info notes that the WA system was about re-habilitating the convicts.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 15 September 17 01:09 BST (UK) »
Pauline, I see you have made no comment on all the information I provided on family members. Not necessarily looking for a thank you, but am very curious as to whether I was on the right track, or not.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 15 September 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
Pauline, I see you have made no comment on all the information I provided on family members. Not necessarily looking for a thank you, but am very curious as to whether I was on the right track, or not.

Jamjar

I am sure you are on the right track for Thomas and Ellen LOCKLEY as per the 1902 Electoral Roll info I posted.    :)  :)   :)  I am not sure that the descendants of that Thomas are connected to the parents ( Thomas and Sarah LOCKLEY) on this particular 1861 Census.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7Z6-2D9

Re the chap transported to WA in 1865 

http://search.ancestry.com.au/search/db.aspx?dbid=60668
Here is one paragraph (of a number of paragraphs) from Ancestry’s info about their database ‘Western Australia, Australia, Convict Records, 1846-1930 which is based on the original data held by the State Records Office of WA:

The penal system in Western Australia functioned somewhat differently than in the rest of Australia. It was based on the concept of rehabilitation rather than of punishment, and the majority of convicts spent a very short time in labour groups. Instead, it was more common for them to go out into the community under a ticket of leave. Under this system, prisoners were free to seek employment before the expiration of their sentence. They were not allowed to leave the district to which they had been assigned, and were required to report to the local magistrate once per month, but they had far more freedom than prisoners in other areas of Australia. Registers of men with tickets of leave were maintained in many cases by local police and courthouses, which kept track of any convicts employed within a given district. These tickets of leave and related records can be used to track the work history and travels of individual convicts.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 15 September 17 01:29 BST (UK) »
Jamjar

Please believe me when I say that I have typed two, or more, lengthy replies to you to applaud your efforts and extensive research and each time they have vanished as I was about to post. I reported it to Moderator Sarah.
Same has happened to other replies I did. There were many to thank.

Sue and Mgm  have now given me advice on how to rectify the problem- thank goodness

So it has been two days of repeating replies and you are still on the list. I'm so sorry because I really was excited to forward some info to you about how helpful you had been.

It is now 1 30 am here, and I have finally got to the land of nod
Could you please be patient until tomorrow when I will have my info in front of me?
You are not forgotten, never will be for all the effort you have put in.
Pauline

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 15 September 17 01:33 BST (UK) »
What I do is type into the box, highlight and copy at intervals, as I go. Then you can paste if lost.

I just had a thought, what about the brother George you suspect was transported at the same time as Thomas?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 15 September 17 01:41 BST (UK) »
Oh   I have to go to sleep...but

The 1861 census Is the correct family. Just before Thomas gets wed in ,1862

and George did not get transported. His sentence 6 hrs I think ( don't bring the file to bed) enabled him to remain in custody here.
Night both
P

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 15 September 17 01:43 BST (UK) »
Not 6 hours
bet he wished for that
6 years