Author Topic: NSW Lockley descendants? Holden;Reed; Willcocks;Hunter  (Read 14442 times)

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NSW Lockley descendants? Holden;Reed; Willcocks;Hunter
« on: Monday 11 September 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Australia
I am GT GT niece of Thomas Lockley who arrived Sydney 1879 and married widow Ellen A Hunter in 1891.

She had a daughter Parthenia and they went on to have Frederick,Charles.  b 1900 and Isabella b 1893. They all married. Their names were then Parthenia Holden,  Isabella Reed and Frederick married Florence Willcocks in 1926.

It's been quite an emotional journey tracking the life of Thomas. I did manage to get a photo of his grave but not a photo of him.
If anyone is doing their family tree out there for this family I would love to get in contact .
Fingers crossed
Pauline

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Lockley descendants? Holden;Reed; Willcocks;Hunter
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,
  I see there is a probate packet for Frederic Charles LOCKLEY https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/1480433 and I could photograph this for you next time I am there if you wish.

You can check for others here https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Ros
Thank you so much for replying and your kind offer which I would be delighted to accept. Any information helps me to expand my "Jigsaw " of this family. My own  family never spoke of Thomas and we are sure that they never knew of his Australian connections.

Frederick Charles, the same names as my late father, has caused me difficulties. I found him and Florence on the 1935 and 1943 census living in Bellarwi (via Barmedman) as a farmer. I am not sure if this is in the Paramatta area where his father and mother were:-
  (Junee, Illabo, Boree, Balmain, Cootamundra, Narrandera,  Martin, Five Dock,  Abbotsford are on many records I have found and I haven't established where  all these areas are. I've just concluded that they are in the south of Sydney)

I was never able to establish his death or possible children so your information is priceless!  It gives me hope that there might be grandchildren who can fill in some gaps- although Frederick married just after his father's death. However Ellen, grannie, was alive for another 10 years..

I have checked out the link you sent, nothing immediately jumps out so I will spend more time on that. I have to say that I have been very impressed with all the freely available Australian records you have.
 "Trove" & " Convicts Central" really kick -started my research and the journey has been incredible.

I don't know if you can answer this but Thomas, a convict,  must have been given an ABSOLUTE pardon as he returned to England before he decided to make his life in Australia. My understanding is that he could not return to the UK on a CONDITIONAL pardon. Q:- Do you know of any records of these Absolute pardons? I imagine they were quite rare.

I am really grateful for your kind offer and hope to hear back from you when you have time.
Thank you
Pauline

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline

A pleasure to help with the probate

As far as pardons are concerned if you go to the link I gave .. choose indexes ... at the top is key name search ... enter Lockley and it will give several entries

Sorry I am at a trivia night with family and only have my phone with me.    I'll give more info and better link later

Ros

Adding : link to key name search https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/keyname
Adding : There are deceased estate files for Thomas and Ellen there which I can photograph
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,
  I think this is obit to Thomas http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article102147955

I don't understand how he could be a convict who was transported to Australia as he was born about  1840 ?  Convict transportation to nsw and Tasmania ceased  by 1842.

I think we need more details about him  :)

ROs

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
Have you requested digitization of your father's service record?
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=A&veteranId=114678

It may hold information to further your inquiry.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros

He was transported in 1865 aboard Vimeria - but to Freemantle.  Sentence ended 1872.

(That's why the link you sent to look at in NSW wont show him as
a) the dates, as you say, are too early
& b) he wasn't there at that time) But a brilliant web site. I have looked at it before but didn't spot the probate that you found.

He left Freemantle in 1878 to return home - must have saved and worked liked mad to enable him to have enough for both voyages as he obviously intended to return.

I can understand why he wouldn't have gone back to Freemantle, and he had probably heard that Sydney was more established and there he was no longer reminded of being a convict? He didn't have an assisted passage either. I get quite emotional thinking about his determination to see his family once more, and sadly he didn't come home to good news. But he seemed to have made good in Sydney.

Sorry if I have confused you-  as I was only concentrating on his life & family in Sydney as that's where any distant relatives were likely to be.

Hope your trivia evening went well
Pauline

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pauline  :)

That explains it.  That is remarkable that he returned home and then returned to Australia all by his own hard work.  A very determined man.

Trivia nights are lots of fun with family - only occasionally do we do well :(

Ros
Adding : full pardons are not uncommon but returning to England was very rare and then returning to Australia was most exceptional

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
Oh Ros - that is indeed his obituary which I have never seen before.
So the man did indeed make good. I knew it!!
My sister was out in Sydney last year, on a cruise, and although she is not at all interested in this research I threatened her to not dare come back without a photo of his grave. It took them all day to find it at Rookwood although she was given the plot number- and she only had two days in Sydney. I was so....grateful.
Thank you. I will treasure this and put it into the many files I now have of his life.
Pauline