Author Topic: NSW Lockley descendants? Holden;Reed; Willcocks;Hunter  (Read 14417 times)

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Lockley descendants? Holden;Reed; Willcocks;Hunter
« Reply #99 on: Monday 18 September 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
HI

I can check funeral notices for you when I am next in Newcastle.

Muss
That was very kind of you Pauline

Isabella at Sandgate Cemetery

REED Isabel Christina 19-11-1976 Anglican 3 Section 177 Lot 54

Headstone photo: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kqs/

Thanks again for the info Jamjar & the link- really nice to see that headstone
Pauline

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 03:14 BST (UK) »
Right, 

1.   Turning off notifications for a particular thread does NOT mean any RChatter has quit.  It simply means that the RChatter has turned off the notifications feature, thus avoiding receiving email alerts to newer posts.   
2.   I see there’s been a further modification made by our OP to her reply so that the word ‘Grannie’ no longer appears in its original place.  Is there a valid reason for removing it?  Probably not, for the OP does acknowledge using it, albeit as a ‘generic’ term.  I am quite sure in its original place it was not used as a generic term, but rather as a term of endearment.   One of my third cousins is likely a direct descendant of Ellen who married Thomas in 1891.  My third cousin advises me that her elderly relatives referred to Ellen as Grandmother, and that to the best of her knowledge ‘Grannie’ is not a popular word used in the family.     I concur, and note that the spelling ‘ie’ is not the usual spelling found for ‘Granny’ within communities in NSW in the early to mid 20th Century.    I also note that I have not provided any means for anyone to readily validate this statement.   I am not in the habit of providing identifying information about living people.  It is up to them to decide IF they want to make contact, and I note they are under no obligation to so do.   
3.   In respect to researching convictism in Western Australia – may I again request that our OP please give serious consideration to setting aside Hughes book The Fatal Shore.  He was not writing about Western Australian convictism.  It would be sensible if you considered re-reading his introduction.   In the same way that it is poor research to say rely in how convictism operated in the British Colonies of North America in the 1700s or earlier, in order to understand the context of WA convictism in the 1860s, so it is fair to say that it is poor research to rely on The Fatal Shore for WA convictism in the 1860s for it clearly refers to New South Wales and Van Diemens Land convictism in the late 1700s and into the early decades of the 1800s.
4.   One of the many benefits that RChat provides for anyone interested in family history is that among its rules are protections for living people.  And that feature in turn allows many benefits including a complementary benefit – that of public access to these threads without the need to even log on or sign in or subscribe.   It is only when the reader wants to contribute that the reader needs to formally choose to announce their presence.  And that benefit in turn is complemented with the use of avatar names.    I mention these particular complementary benefits because I notice that this thread has now been read more than 1300 times, and I suspect that some of those occasions are by relatives of my third cousin, as I am advised that they are shocked by the lack of quality to the research for Ellen and Thomas’ origins.  I think it is likely that that they will continue to listen to the local community leaders including police, who regularly advise community groups for senior citizens to be alert to people claiming to be related or to have common dead relatives when it turns out that they may be scamming them or otherwise being mischievous .  I will continue to leave notifications turned off on this thread.    I thank those who have kindly sent PMs to me recently, and I hope I have replied to all the PMs.

There’s no reason to be deterred from family history research, but there’s every reason to strive to be mindful of the living and their lawful expectation to privacy of the individual, when seeking to make contact with people who are already aware of their NSW heritage.  To me, RChat is not here to help people make contact with long lost living relatives, as there are other organisations that concentrate on that.   Here’s the HOW TO thread for the Australia Board:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 04:06 BST (UK) »
1.   Turning off notifications for a particular thread does NOT mean any RChatter has quit.  It simply means that the RChatter has turned off the notifications feature, thus avoiding receiving email alerts to newer posts.   

I too turn off notifications to stop the emails, as soon as I receive a reply to a post.

including a complementary benefit – that of public access to these threads without the need to even log on or sign in or subscribe.

Yes, can be a benifit. I was very recently contacted by a 1st cousin's daughter via RC. As I was adopted in the 50s, I grew up not knowing any of my birth mother's side. My search began on RC some years ago. Although I found my mother and met her in 2010, I have known nothing of her siblings other than their first names, found on my Grandfather's death cert. So, to make contact now with a member of the family is excellent.

Having said that, I have not had any physical confirmation that the person I am in contact with, is in fact family. I guess it's a risk we all take when hoping to make contact with unknown relatives. The answer is not to provide too much personal information, to early, which I'm sure I have.  ;)

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
Reply to Majm
quote " I see there's been further modification made by our OP to her reply so that the word "grannie" no longer appears in it's original place. Is there a valid reason for removing it?"

I have not removed anything. If you look at post No 3 you will see it remains.
 And of course it is a term of endearment.

" and not that the spelling of "ie" is not the usual....."
Dictionary:- Granny or Grannie  n  grandmother.
I really thought you were being pedantic the first time around and considered not reading more. Wished I had not

Quote"OP please gives serious consideration to setting aside Hughes book" and then..
"consider reading his introduction"

I don't have time to re-read "The Fatal Shore" and don't know how one man in one lifetime could document so much information. Applaud him. I hesitated to say the first time around that there are several refs to W.A. & Freemantle. (and "yes" it was mainly NSW) Surely London would be setting the criteria for all prisoners/ convicts regardless of the year or continent that they were sent to?

Point 4
quote "shocked by the lack of quality"i]  Would this be based on the "granny" reference? And why aren't they contradicting anything? - if they are watching.
Patience. I will get there, regardless.

Quotes: -
[i]"they will continue to listen ....to the police"

"they may be scamming them"

I am speechless and feel sick at this attack. I really think you have overstepped the mark with this.
 I am now considering ending this thread, which may or may not be what you want, but will continue with all the amazing and positive information that so many R.Chatters have delivered

There is always the P.M if anyone is interested.
Need to give this some thought

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
Pauline
  Please be reassured that the majority of people on this forum are kind and friendly people who just want to help with family history research.

Yes I agree that JM has overstepped the mark and that her post is highly offensive.  Hopefully she will apologise shortly.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
Pauline
  Please be reassured that the majority of people on this forum are kind and friendly people who just want to help with family history research.

Ros

Ros
Those are my sentiments exactly. I have been shown much positive, professional, helpful input by so many. Unfortunately I seem to have spent much time defending myself over petty unrelated accusations than actually searching all links and adding to my research. That will now stop.

I am hoping that you manage to get Thomas' death cert when you tackle the probate etc but if not I will. I am hoping above everything that his m.m.n is on there but would appreciate it if we could PM the results. I am happy to tell you what I am looking for.

I am now thinking that I have caused upset to his family because they do not accept what I have discovered.  ( and have yet to prove conclusively - the death cert may do it, or I might find I'm wrong. Always happy to admit that) This was never my intention. They may not know. After all "my"
Thomas arrived as a free man.
Regardless  I am full of admiration for Thomas - knowing as much as I do and proud that I am related. And almost 1,500 hits shows many are interested also.

I didn't quote the second part of your entry. Appreciate you saying it. Too much irritation  Let it go.
Thanks again for everything. It's a waiting game now
Pauline

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
Pauline

Yes I agree that JM has overstepped the mark and that her post is highly offensive.  Hopefully she will apologise shortly.

Ros

I agree that the majority of people on this forum are kind and friendly and just want to help with family history research so clearly I see no reason to contemplate any contrary view to that fine sentiment.   It would of course be remiss of me to overlook the words that followed that sentiment.  From the perspective of the test for how a fair and reasonable person reading this thread should be expected to understand it, clearly there has not been any overstepping of any mark by me nor has there been any offense given by me.  It saddens me when there are instances of hectoring, and I wonder about the intent of the poster/s when I read hectoring posts.   

On a less serious note, I recall my own late Gran, one of the volunteers back in the 1930s who helped transcribe the long hand entries in various NSW BDM sets of records.  She was a significant person in my own childhood, I am 7th generation NSW born and bred, and proud of all my migrant ancestors, 'came free' or 'came as garrison forces' or 'transported under sentence'.     I paraphrase my Gran of course, but simply put :
two and two .... agh ........ that's 22
two and two .... is ........... agh that's 4

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 03:56 BST (UK) »
1861 England Census.
Willenhall, Staffordshire.

Thomas Lockley, head, 49
Sarah Lockley, wife, 47.
Thomas Lockley, 21, son, um, locksmith.
George Lockey, 19, son, um.
Samuel, Lockley, 15, son, um.
Joseph Lockley, 10, son.
Henry Lockley, 7, son.

Gerry

There's a tree on FamilySearch which has linked this family to the 1861 which says the mother was Sarah Ainsworth. 

However if you look for those names and ages on the GRO the likely MMN is Overend.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
Very illuminating JM
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland