Author Topic: A bit of help with my grandfather's service record (India and Burma)  (Read 1266 times)

Offline PeterAdams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A bit of help with my grandfather's service record (India and Burma)
« on: Monday 11 September 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I’m really sorry to bother you all, but – having seen someone else's appeal for help earlier this year, and the vast know-how that was given in return – I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me bring some clarity to my own grandfather's service record.

I've been trying to build up a timeline and idea of where my late grandfather went during WWII. He served in India and Burma, but it's the latter that's of most importance to me at the moment, as earlier this year I quit my job to go travelling, and – at last – I hope to be in Burma next week. My aim is to visit some of the places he'd have been to – I'm still not quite sure why.

He served first in the Royal Artillery in the 95th Regiment, as part of the 204th HAA Battery, before being transferred to 1 East Yorks. The archivists at each regiment have been an incredible help, and have provided me with whichever logs and reports they can.

With that detail to hand, I now have a good idea where he might've been and when. I’m just concerned I might be misinterpreting the information, or missing chunks out.

I've come up with a vague timeline (skipping quickly to when he was transferred to East Yorks, which served in Burma. Prior to that, he was based in India with the RA), based on the attached records (apologies for the low resolution – I had to reduce the file size to make sure they uploaded):

13 March 1941 - 25 September 1944: part of the 95th HAA regiment, 204th Battery (if anyone has any relatives who were part of this, I’d be happy to share any information I have)
13 March 1944: with the 95th HAA regiment placed in suspended animation, he transferred to 13 Bn Sherwood Foresters, along with 357 other BORs (British Other Rank)
26 September 1944: his records say: “Transferred to British Infantry (1 East Yorks Regt) and [not sure what these letters are] 7 S Lancs Reg
His own record of service, which he kept throughout his life, lists only the Royal Artillery and East Yorks, which is why I’ve only asked for information from East Yorks, and not South Lancs.
There's also reverence to X-II India Comd. 23/10/1944 – does anyone know what this means?
29 September 1944: he sustained an accidental injury, detailed elsewhere (he had a fall and hurt his rest), for which he was sent to India.
30 October 1944: date on his report about his injury, from Wellington. Perhaps this is when he was released?
2 May 1945: “To 2-Wing BBRC” British Base Reinforcement Camp, I think, but any idea whether this may have been Burma or India?
15 September 1945: he was sent to (or arrived at?) HBTD (Homeward Bound Trooping Depot, I think)
4 October 1945: ‘Embarked Bombay HT [Hired Transport] “Georgie” for UK’. Is there any chance this could be the SS George Washington? One line of interest on Wikipedia is: ‘In January 1944 George Washington began regular service to the United Kingdom and the Mediterranean, again carrying troops in support of the Allies in Europe from. She made frequent stops at Le Havre, Southampton, and Liverpool.’
6 October 1945: according to his own notes, this is the day he left Bombay, and arrived in Liverpool docks on 26 October

What’s confused me most so far – and I’ve spent a lot of time being confused – is that there’s no reference to Burma. However, he talked about Burma (although, very little – like many, he kept most of it to himself), we still have his medals, and they’re mentioned in his records.

So, really, I just want to check: am I on the right lines? Any and all help is hugely appreciated.

Peter

PS. If anyone has any relatives who were either in 204th HAA Battery or 1 East Yorks, I'd be happy to share any information I've gathered so far. 

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of help with my grandfather's service record (India and Burma)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 September 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
Here's a starter:

A battery is (unless independent) a sub unit of an artillery regiment so he was in 204 Bty of 95 HAA Regt

The last 95 Regt entry when he transferred to the infantry has him attached (ie not permanently posted) to the 13 Battalion Sherwood Foresters who in turn appear to be attached to 7 Battalion S Lancs.  This short (less than two months) attachment was simply the progress if you will of his transfer from the Gunners to the E Yorks.

CTBA – ceased to be attached

X ii (sometimes X 2)  - an administrative category - a good explanation here  http://www.timmitchell.fr/blog/2016/02/25/x-list/  (related here to his injury by the look of it)

BBRC – likely to have been India as a base unit

Burma was part of India command and is seldom (never??) spelled out separately on service docs.  You need the war diaries to track places closely.

Georgie - don't know

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 September 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
I believe the troopship you are looking for is the Cunard liner GEORGIC. She sailed from Bombay 5/6 October 1945
Arrived Port Said 14/10/1945 Sailed 15/10/1945
Arrived Liverpool 23/October/1945. This would the date she arrived at the Mersey Bar. Probably needed a day or two to find a berth and discharge the troops she was carrying.
Source my own notes and
http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/ports/index.html?search.php?vessel=GEORGIC~armain

If you need details of the ship and her trooping accommodation, just ask.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline PeterAdams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 17 18:28 BST (UK) »
MaxD,

This is all brilliant, thank you very much. You've brought a lot of clarity to the records, especially the reference to the Foresters and S Lancs.

Seaweed,

Thank you. Georgic makes much more sense. In addition to the link you posted, is there any more information online about her? It's not urgent, but I'd be fascinated to read more.

Thanks again to you both; it's made my day.

Peter

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
7 South Lancs in India were a training battalion (history of the S Lancs) as was, at that time, 13th Sherwood Foresters (the history of the Sherwood Foresters) as a jungle training unit. I think you can put the period in question aside as the training to be an infantryman.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline PeterAdams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
7 South Lancs in India were a training battalion (history of the S Lancs) as was, at that time, 13th Sherwood Foresters (the history of the Sherwood Foresters) as a jungle training unit. I think you can put the period in question aside as the training to be an infantryman.

MaxD,

This is the one bit that was leaving me most confused – thank you so much.

Also, I spoke to my grandma yesterday evening, and it means a great deal to be able to tell her and the rest of my family about my grandad's time in the war. So thanks again.

Peter

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
A pleasure.  And for Christmas you could (if you haven't thought of it already) get the relevant
 war diaries and write Grandma a history of places and dates.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk