Author Topic: I feel like i am chasing a shadow... need advice  (Read 750 times)

Offline silverfoxcc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I feel like i am chasing a shadow... need advice
« on: Monday 11 September 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
Was doing some research for a woman in Canada who emigrated there 40 years ago. She asked me if i could trace any of her ex husbands friends,he had died recently.

Had regular contact ( every 2-3 weeks, ) giving her updates on who was still about!!!

Suddenly all contact stopped with a cryptic email saying she had been involved in a car accident and following that, they had 'found something'

Contacted a mate in Canada who put me on to someone, who knew them and through him a woman who gave me a bit more info

Seems she had been severely injured in this accident and was confined to a wheelchair... the 'something' she guesssed was cancer, and she had returned to the UK to stay with a brother

Now i have tried Ancestry/find my past for any marriage certificates in the UK, i only have her married name, and cannot find anything even near the possible dates to make a a start

Have contacted a group in Canada to see if they could assist in advising any records Deaths/divorces i could search to see if i could even find an address that i might write to a possible ex- neighbour for any info. .......but nothing, the reply was very terse!

It really feels like this women did not exist, and the only info i have on her is the area she lived and the forenames of two friends, plus she was a carer who use to visit disabled people, nd the boat she owned ( no name was moored in Sarasota.

Any ideas  on what i can do   most welcome

Thanks

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: I feel like i am chasing a shadow... need advice
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 September 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
I hate to say this, but it does sound as if she doesn't want any contact. She obviously has your email, so could contact you if she wanted, even if she has moved back to the UK.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: I feel like i am chasing a shadow... need advice
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 September 17 20:10 BST (UK) »
The privacy laws in Canada are very strict and it is difficult coming forward to always get the information we seek.

Have you tried Canada 411 ?

http://www.canada411.ca/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada