Author Topic: Protestant records for South Uist 1780-1830  (Read 1659 times)

Offline caledon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Protestant records for South Uist 1780-1830
« on: Monday 11 September 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

It's been quite a long time since I've posted. I have Macdonald ancestors who lived on South Uist. They were the Macdonalds of Boisdale (Clanranald) who converted to Protestantism from Catholicism around the mid 1700s. I find no records for any protestants from 1780-1830. Every child born here to this family doesn't show up in Scotlandspeople.com either.

Any suggestions? Kirk session records maybe?

Sandra

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Protestant records for South Uist 1780-1830
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 September 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Lots of reasons why you are not finding any parish entries so far. Only about a third of events were recorded pre the start of official registration in Scotand. Add to this that over the years many registers have been lost or destroyed and you can see why there are gaps.

This is worth a read for the area you are interested in www.hebridespeople.com/finding-your-family/

Also, have you checked on what records are actually available? See pg 11 of this document here from the NRS www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//research/list-of-oprs/list-of-oprs-57-119_0.pdf

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 September 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

To follow on from Monica...

I have some transcriptions for Baptisms S/Uist but CoS ones are non existent (on what I have).

The only entries I have are from Jun 1848 to Nov 1854 Benbecula which has a note.. .

'The following children were baptised by the late Revd. Hugh Macdonald in Benbecula
The following record was received from the register of births of Benbecula 11th October 1922 (Vide File M. 219)'

Annie

Added...

I forgot to mention the addresses of some are Boisdale, Milton, Stoneybridge & Iochdar, S/Uist.
The Boisdale ones have no baptism dates but are for March 1849  ::)

This would have been prior to the CoS which is in Daliburgh (Boisdale Reg. Dist), S/U as it was a Free Church originally...
https://www.scotlandschurchestrust.org.uk/church/daliburgh-parish-church-south-uist

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Greg0220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 17 07:36 BST (UK) »
My MacDonald ancestors were cousins to your Boisdale's. Hugh's grandfather, Colin, bought the Isle of Ulva off the Isle of Mull, so its likely a fair number of Mull MacDonalds were originally Boisdales. It seems the Boisdale estates were foreclosed around 1839 after years of litigation.

Hugh's great grandfather, Alexander, 1st of Boisdale, who died in 1768, does have a will that can be purchased online.
Lynch-Cork/Ontario
Considine-Ireland/Ontario
Daly-Galway/New Brunswick
Kelly-Galway/New Brunswick
MacDonald-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Thomson-Ireland/Gaspe Que
Thompson-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Kane-Ireland/New Brunswick
McNish-Scotland/Ontario
McCulloch-Keppoch/Ontario
MacDonell-Glengarry/Ontario
Fitzgerald-Limerick/Ontario

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 17 12:23 BST (UK) »
Catholics had problems inheriting land & obtaining commissions in the army etc' hence the dyke-jumping by the gentry. For the ordinary peeps the chance of becoming a landowner or buying a commission was a pipe-dream.

Skoosh.