Author Topic: Who is "my" John Brown, Waiter?  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who is "my" John Brown, Waiter?
« on: Tuesday 12 September 17 03:18 BST (UK) »
I have run into a brick wall and would appreciate a fresh pair of eyes to review the information that I have and suggest possible avenues for further research. Who is "my" John Brown - the following is what I know:

Selina King was born on 6 May 1852, St Hilary Downs, St Hilary, Penzance, Cornwall to Francis KING, Miner and Mary KING formerly EADE.  Informant was Francis King (B/C).

Selina King, single and a Servant came out to New Zealand on the ship "Stonehouse", departing from Cornwall on 10 April 1874, arriving in Canterbury on 29 June 1874.

A birth notice appears in the Evening Post on 5 April 1877 "BROWN - On the 24 March, the wife of Mr John Brown, of a daughter".  Unable to find a birth registration.  (Name known to be Adeline Josephine Brown)

A death notice also appears in the Evening Post on 5 April 1877 of a John Brown.  The death registration records that on 2 April 1877, Wingfield street, Wellington John BROWN, waiter died aged 38 years.  His father is given as William John BROWN, shipwright.  The name of his mother is not stated.  It also states that he was born in Cork, Ireland and had been in NZ for 5 years. (Not able to find ship arrival details).   
It also records that he married in Wanganui at 37 years of age to Selina KING.  I can not find any marriage for John Brown/Selina King.
Issue living was 1 girl.  John Brown was buried in the Wellington cemetery (Bolton cemetery) on 4 April 1877.  Location not known, other than C of E.

On 26 June 1878 Ferry Road, Christchurch Alfred John Brown is born.  Father is stated as Richard John BROWN, Waiter, 38 years and mother as Selina BROWN formerly KING, age 27 years born Penzance.

Angelina BROWN (aka Selina), widow married William Henry NAPIER, widower and gardener on 1 March 1880 at St Michaels church, Christchurch (m/c).

On 24 February 1892 a funeral notice appears in the Evening Post for Alfred John Brown step-son of W H Napier.

On 20 September 1902 at the Registrar's office, Wellington Adeline Josephine BROWN married Walter Lebourne Dorney HARRIS.  Adeline gives her usual and present residence as Wellington.  Her father is given as John Olden BROWN, Waiter and Selina Josephine Napier formerly Brown m.n. King.

Adeline Josephine HARRIS died on 2 June 1941 at Wellington.  Her parents are stated as William Henry Napier, gardener and Selina Napier nee Brown.

I have checked the NZBDM indexes, NZ electoral rolls, Familysearch, Paperspast and tried checking UK census records for John Brown.  I have looked for John Brown, Richard John Brown, John Olden Brown and also William John Brown with no luck.  Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who is "my" John Brown, Waiter?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 03:48 BST (UK) »
"... 2 April 1877, Wingfield street, Wellington John BROWN, waiter died aged 38 years..."
Who is the informant, cause of death please.

"...On 26 June 1878 Ferry Road, Christchurch Alfred John Brown is born.  Father is stated as Richard John BROWN, Waiter, 38 years and mother as Selina BROWN formerly KING, age 27 years born Penzance.".          Who is the informant?.

"..Angelina BROWN (aka Selina), widow married William Henry NAPIER, widower and gardener on 1 March 1880 at St Michaels church, Christchurch (m/c)."

Who are the witnesses?

"...Adeline Josephine HARRIS died on 2 June 1941 at Wellington.  Her parents are stated as William Henry Napier, gardener and Selina Napier nee Brown...."

Can you please list all the information on this certificate.

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 04:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,
The following is the additional information requested:

"... 2 April 1877, Wingfield street, Wellington John BROWN, waiter died aged 38 years..."
Who is the informant, cause of death please.
Informant  is W Parsons, Undertaker, Wellington.  Cause of death is Cancer of the stomach - 4 months.

"..Angelina BROWN (aka Selina), widow married William Henry NAPIER, widower and gardener on 1 March 1880 at St Michaels church, Christchurch (m/c)."

Who are the witnesses?
Jesse Atkins, Carpenter, South Town Belt
Annie Cooke, Hill View Road, Phillipstown

...On 26 June 1878 Ferry Road, Christchurch Alfred John Brown is born.  Father is stated as Richard John BROWN, Waiter, 38 years and mother as Selina BROWN formerly KING, age 27 years born Penzance.".          Who is the informant?.  The informant is Mother, Christchurch.

"...Adeline Josephine HARRIS died on 2 June 1941 at Wellington.  Her parents are stated as William Henry Napier, gardener and Selina Napier nee Brown...."

Can you please list all the information on this certificate.  - As follows:
Name: Adeline Josephine Harris, Married of 24 Lorne Street, Wellington
Sex F       Age 65
When died: 2 June 1941 - Where died: Wellington Hospital
Where born: Wellington      How long in NZ: life
Name of Father: William Henry Napier
Name of Mother: Selina Napier       Maiden surname: Brown
Profession or Occupation of father: Gardener
Where married: Wellington           At what age married: 25
To Whom married: Walter Le Burn Dorney Harris
Issue living (M) -         (F)  -
When buried: 3 June 1941             Where buried: Karori
Cause of death: Cerebral haemorrhage - 2 days; Recurrent minor cerebral thrombosis - 2 months
                        Hypertension - several years
Medical attendant by whom certified: J M Sandel
When he last saw deceased: 1 June 1941

WNW

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 04:40 BST (UK) »

Thank you for the additional information. I will ponder the possibilities. Do you have a death certificate for Angelina NAPIER nee KING? Any births to this couple?. Was Angelina step-mother to NAPIER children?

John BROWN d. 1877.......not a sudden death....probably not working, so I wonder how Angelina might have supported her family?

Further to John Olden BROWN.......BDM NZ has BROWN births with Holden used as given name. Something to consider. 

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 05:29 BST (UK) »
I will take a looks as those Brown births.
The details from Angelina's death certificate are:
Angelina Napier, widow, 32 College street, Wellington - Female age 67 years
Died 15 March 1920 at Wellington Hospital
Born Penzance, Cormwall, England.  How long in NZ - 45 years
Father: William King - Mother: Angelina King maiden surname not known occupation of father: Miner
Where married: christchurch - at what age: 25 years - to whom married: William Henry Napier
Issue living: (M) -      (F) 41
When buried: 17 March 1920 - where buried: Karori
Cause of death: Chronic bronchitis and myocarditis - 4 months
                        Cardiac failure
Medical attendant by whom certified: S B Strain
When last saw deceased: 14 March 1920
Informant (from death printout): Robt Wilson, Undertaker, Wellington

Angelina Napier was step-mother to the following children:
William Henry Napier b 30 June 1864, The Fortune, Elsetree, Edgware, Middlesex.  He married Eliza COOK on 31 August 1886 at Church of St Michael, Christchurch.  He died on 22 September 1921 at Wellington Hospital aged 59 years of 26 Coromandel street, Newtown (Evening Post 23 September 1921)

Arthur Edward Napier b 26 January 1867, 1 Belmont Road, Lee Kent, England.  Married Eliza Ada Emily OPPENHEIM at the residence of A C Oppenheim, St Asaph street, Linwood, Christchurch.  He was a Pressman and she was a Machinist.  Witnesses were C A Oppenheim, Storeman and Alexander Jack, Sydenham

See following posting for details of two boys who listed W H Napier and Angelina (Selina) as their parents.  As far as I can determine they were not their birth parents.

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 06:04 BST (UK) »
The following two children listed William Henry Napier and Angelina (Selina) as their parents:

1    Ernest Edward Napier born 28 April 1890 at Gisborne (my grandfather).  This information first appears on E E Napier's military service record.  It is also on his marriage certificate.  He married Eleanor DAWES on 4 September 1918 at the Methodist church, Kingsland, Auckland.  Witnesses to the marriage were Charles Ellis Waddingham, Solicitor, Epsom and Rose Edith Woolsey, Nurse, Auckland (cousin of Eleanor Dawes).  E E Napier died on 22 August 1976 at Levin.
(Note: when I first started researching my grandfather told my father that he did not know where he was born and said Gisborne "for something to say").  I have been unable to find a birth record for him.  See note below also.

2    Richard James Emery Browne born 15 May 1897, Drummond Lane off Tinakori Road, Wellington.  His mother is recorded as Adeline Josephine Browne age 20 years born Wellington.  Details of father not recorded on birth registration.  Informant is Mother A J Browne, C/- William Henry Napier, Drummond Lane, Tinakori Road, Wellington.  An Adjudication of Paternity and Order of Maintenance of 20 May 1897 - an Oath was made by "Jane Emily Napier" of Wellington (I have no idea who this person is as I have not come across this name before) that Adeline Josephine Napier was the mother of an illegitimate child and that James EMENY, Guard of Wellington is the father of the child.  (There are various items about James EMENY on Paperspast re failing to pay maintenance).

Richard James Napier age 37 years, Storekeeper married Irene Louise WAREHAM age 33 years at St Patricks church, Kilbirnie.  Richard listed his parents as William Henry Napier and Selina Napier no maiden surname listed. Witnesses were Samuel O'Neill, Stenotyper, Wellington East and Mary Imelda Wareham, Typist, Wellington (sister of Irene).
Richard Janes Napier died on 27 April 1969, Memorial Public Hospital, Hastings age 70 years, occ Carrier of 1006 Tomoana, Road, Hastings.  His parents were stated as William Henry Napier and Selina Napier.  Informant was S T Tong, Funeral Director, Hastings.  Cause of death was bronchopneumonia - 2 days; emphysema years and Asthma -

Note: the Ernest Edward Napier above born 28 April 1890 is not to be confused with the Ernest Edward Napier born 28 May 1890 in Christchurch, the son of William Henry Napier and Eliza Cook.  E E Napier married Alma Ellaline BLINKHORNE in 1914.  He died on 30 September 1954 and is buried in Karori cemetery.

WNW

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 10:21 BST (UK) »

For the NZ connection, and use of name Holden, this might be useful.....a brother to your John BROWN?-----

Victoria Police Gazette May 25 1881
James Thomas Holden BROWN.....warrant...deserting wife......Scottish, 49yrs....left wife and three children in Dunedin three months ago........

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
NZ BDM marr
1872/6641 James J H BROWN  m. Jessie June  STEWART

NZ BDM birth
1873/20327 BROWN  James Taylor   parents  Jessie / James Thomas Holden
1875/10671 BROWN  John Stewart   parents  Jessie June / James J H

NZ BDM death
1955/25048 BBOWN James Taylor  83Y
1927/8010  BROWN  James Taylor  55Y

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 December 17 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks wivenhoe for your postings which I will check out. 

WNW