Author Topic: HMS Lookout & 99th General Hospital B.N.A.F Dec '43/Jan '44  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
HMS Lookout & 99th General Hospital B.N.A.F Dec '43/Jan '44
« on: Tuesday 12 September 17 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi. Can anyone shed light on why a sailor who was on HMS Lookout would have gone to the 99th General Hospital in Africa sometime between Nov '43 and Jan '44 please. He was "suffering from lung trouble brought on by the exposure he suffered when his former ship was sunk on convoy to Russia" (probably HMS Edinburgh). HMS Lookout was taken in for refit and repair in Nov '43, in Taranto Italy. So why did he go to Africa, and where in Africa?

www.scarletfinders.co.uk has this information:

99 British General Hospital
Woolwich 10/42 to 12/42 then to Algiers; Algiers 1/43 to 2/43 and then to Rivet; Rivet 2/43 to 12/43 then to Alma; Alma 12/43 to 8/44 then to Castellammare; Castellammare 8/44 to 1/45 then to Anagni; Anagni 1/45 to 30/6/45 then disbanded.

Can someone also please explain the apparent moves of the 99th General Hospital from Woolwich-Algiers-Rivet-Alma-Castellammare-Anagni (was a 'hospital' a group of medics who moved to wherever they were needed?)

Thank you
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Lookout & 99th General Hospital B.N.A.F Dec '43/Jan '44
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Second part first, that type of hospital was exactly that, medical staff, support staff, kit and caboodle that was deployed to conform with the progress of the operation they were supporting.  Here they were following the progress of the war in North Africa from UK, sent to Algiers, then (I think it is) Ribat* in Tunisia on with the invasion of Sicily and into Italy to the end of the war.

There are snippets of individual histories which say that in Nov 43 99th General Hospital was in Taranto in premises previously occupied by an Italian hospital.  This may be the Alma the Scarlet Finders list shows.  In any event that would seem to accord with his ship docking there in Nov 43.

MaxD

*The preamble to the list in Scarlet finders says some of the writing in the originals is difficult to read.

PS  The BNAF (British North Africa Force) has mislead you.  This was what the whole force in Algeria and Tunis was called.  Units in Italy then became CMF Central Mediterranean Force covering Italy and the Balkans.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
As always MaxD you are so helpful. The reason I think he was actually in Africa (at 99th General Hospital BNAF) was that his friend, whose letters I have, said as much. Despite Algiers ibeing in Africa, and ScarletFinders listing Algiers, do you still think he would not have actually been there? 

Would the hospital have been run by and for troops for any and all of the services? (he was in th Navy)

Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
Not if the dates you gave are correct (Nov 43 -Jan 44) 'cos the hospital was long since gone from Algiers.

Alternatively, he could have been in hospita in lAlgiers or Tunisia  in other dates 'cos HMS Lookout spent a good deal of time operating off N Africa see http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-10DD-41L-HMS_Lookout.htm  and yes the hospital would have taken all services.

Maybe he went twice?

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
or maybe I've made assumptions about the start date! In light of what you have said, I suspect that this is the case and that he was actually there for a longer period than was implied in the letter. Once again you've helped to add another piece to the jigsaw puzzle! Thank you
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
Are you able to reconcile his service dates on HMS Lookout with the history of the vessel?  Based in Bone, half way between Algiers and Tunis from Dec 42, at Taranto Nov 43 to Jul 44.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
No, I cant reconcile his service records because I only know about him through his friend's letters. (his friend, my Uncle, whose story I am telling) I think what you've given me is enough to explain where he might have been though. The address was West A Ward, 99th General Hospital, B.N.A.F. - be interesting to know what the premises were if he was actually in Algiers (earlier than I'd thought)

The info about the premises in Taranto is interesting.

I'm just going to check out Bone.
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
The expressions "thought to have been" or "is likely to have been" are useful in these sorts of circumstances :D

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Too right! ;)