Author Topic: At which point do you admit defeat?  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: At which point do you admit defeat?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Coombs,
I have to agree with everyone else, never give up, just put it to one side and come back to it every now and then. I can identify with ThrelfallYorky's "Irish stew" comment ;D I have quite a few Irish ancestors on the back burner!

All mine are in the Irish stew pot, I give it a stir every now and again with any new set of records that come along to make sure it doesn't burn but I never consider it defeat, if I've found all there is to find that is success.

;D ;D
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
The only likely marriage is in 1810 but the fly in the ointment is the bride was not a spinster, and if she is the same woman, she'd have to be a very young widow if she was just 19/20.

I can see how that might be uncomfortable, although I will say that one of mine married at 19 and was widowed at 21. I also have an ancestor who married at 15/16 years old- although her husband outlived her, she could potentially have been a widow that young if he hadn't.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 20:49 BST (UK) »
The only likely marriage is in 1810 but the fly in the ointment is the bride was not a spinster, and if she is the same woman, she'd have to be a very young widow if she was just 19/20.

I can see how that might be uncomfortable, although I will say that one of mine married at 19 and was widowed at 21. I also have an ancestor who married at 15/16 years old- although her husband outlived her, she could potentially have been a widow that young if he hadn't.

And she may have been born about 1787-1788 instead of 1790/1791. Sarah may have been approximately 60 in 1851 when she died. She and her husband had her first child in July 1812. I tend to question ages at deaths at the best of times but even more when they are an exact round figure, often that is a educated guess. She was admitted to the workhouse in 1848 and her age was given as 57. The marriage was April 1810 in Axminster, Devon, and Sarah's hubby was a coachman. I even have a copy of the original 1810 marriage record and George Coombs was a bachelor. No occupations given but both signed the register, they did not just give their mark. Sarah witnessed her eldest sons marriages in 1835 and 1845 so I compared signatures but could not draw any conclusions.

After 1810 the George and Sarah seem untraceable in Devon and my George and Sarah seem the only candidates who could be the same couple.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 22:02 BST (UK) »

Just to add a quote from another thread...

Reply #33

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=778436.msg6328161

"on my nan's first husband they were only very young and married for about 6 months when he was killed."

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 23:24 BST (UK) »
I agree with Jill about the misleading advert

Never give up ...extra information can turn up in all sort of places ...

dNa did help me discover my great grandmother.s marriage and legitimate son
And once I knew that name

Rootschatter s found

My great grandmother was given probate of her husband's uncles estate so I knew she was a widow in 1938 and her address

I wouldn't have thought of persuing those non blood relatives !
bridgidmac - I think your great- grandmother is a really good example that you should never give up. Lots of us looked for her without success and yet she was hiding in plain sight ( hidden by a really bad Ancestry mistranscription  of her place of birth on the 1911 Census). Once you had the DNA evidence, she was really easy to find - even if that inevitably led to even more secrets and questions. That is the joy of genealogy!
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 00:00 BST (UK) »
We all have brickwalls.
Never give up.

Some strategies that i find help -
Take a break away from your research line - holiday or look at another family line.
Go over old hard copies - review old material. Usually after a couple of years. Amazing what you pick up after a fresh look.
Haunt any and every genealogy forum you can. Put your info out there and keep looking occasionally you find a relative with the missing pieces or someone to help.

Perserverence  is the key.

Cheers
Jack Gee
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 01:29 BST (UK) »
Mine are two Irish 4x great grandparents.

No mothers are named on the 1845 Dublin marriage record of 3rd g grandparents., although the 2 fathers are.

Grr...  But I haven't given up them..... One day maybe.......hopefully
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 02:19 BST (UK) »
"At which point do you admit defeat?"

It may be useful to know that 'defeat' is not a word in the Genealogy dictionary ;D

Hampered maybe  :P

A wee bit o' my poetry....

'Never give up' or admit 'defeat'
Always look forward do not retreat
Whether or not they're in an 'Irish Stew'?
There will always be records to us anew
So bide your time and think ahead
They're not missing they're only dead!

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 02:47 BST (UK) »
Never...
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England