Author Topic: Researching Irish traveller ancestors  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Dannyboy20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researching Irish traveller ancestors
« on: Tuesday 12 September 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hello all. I've been trying to find my great grandmother for years. Her name was Mary Finn she was an Irish traveller but I cannot find anything on her anywhere, is this due to travelling and not registering her birth? It's a mystery!

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Researching Irish traveller ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Dannyboy20,

If you could inform us of the data you do have we might be able to help. Do you have information on Mary's children? Where & when were they born? Give us some help so we can help you.

Good hunting.

J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline Dannyboy20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello yes I can all I have is where she was supposed to be from which is Cork and the name of my grandfather was Terence, I don't know his father's name, he had sisters Mary, Margaret and Eileen that's all I have I'm afraid. My grandfather was born in England I think the rest of his siblings were born in Ireland from what I've been told, I can find my grandfather on ancestry but can't get any further.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
When was Terence born? Even approx will do.
We need an idea of dates to even start looking.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
If you scroll right down on the Rootschat.com headed page, past countries, census etc, way, way  down, there's an area in "Special Interests", headed "Travelling people". That'll probably be the best place to enquire. Good luck.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Dannyboy,

Are your family definitely Irish Travellers?
As has been said, it would be best if you posted the information you have re censuses and the English birth. Members would be very happy to try and help or point you in the right direction.

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
You were online earlier this morning but still haven't posted any more information so that we can help you. Remember not to post details of anyone that might be still alive.

It may be that the records you are looking for are too recent to be online but very difficult to pin anything down as there are hundreds of Finns with the Christian names you've mentioned.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 September 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
we are looking for any info on Hugh Caves Galway born in Belfast Ireland in 1888.he came to England after the 1911 cencus.he worked for the fairs but that's about all we know.His death or whether he married would be nice to know??or even the name of the fair??ever hopeful of some help?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 September 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
we are looking for any info on Hugh Caves Galway born in Belfast Ireland in 1888.he came to England after the 1911 cencus.he worked for the fairs but that's about all we know.His death or whether he married would be nice to know??or even the name of the fair??ever hopeful of some help?

Seems he lived with his grandparent in Pilot st Belfast  1901 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003971735/and 1911 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001394620/ so if he married I haven't found it, a maybe death:  Deaths Jun 1917 Galway    Hugh R    35yrs   Liverpool    8b   159
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend