Author Topic: James Bolton  (Read 748 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Bolton
« on: Tuesday 12 September 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone who can advise me about the muster rolls.  I am looking for James Bolton who at the time of his daughter Helen's baptism in Scotland he was a soldier.

The baptism reads "James Bolton, Soldier in the 4th Regt of Scots Militia and Elisabeth Story his Spouse had a Daughter born 16 April and baptised 18th April by the name of Helen Witnesses James Jarvis miner and John Mcpherson". Baptised at Dalkeith Mid Lothian Scotland.

I am hoping to find his age or anything about him that may point me in the direction of progressing my family history.

I am also going to post this on the Scotland board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=778795.0

Hope someone on this lovely site can help me.

Eileen

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Bolton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen - you forgot to put the year.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
Was about to say the same on t'other thread:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT5Q-WRH

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
Good thinking!

My feeling is that it will be the Scotland record side that is more likely to produce the sort of results that Eileen wants.

I can't find a muster book the Royal Scots for that period and anyway, they had no family information, they simply recorded a man's name against a quarter year that he received pay.  Haven't been able to identify any other military record and again, the militia were the responsibility of the county at that time rather than the War Office.  That said, the militia had been embodied (called for full time service) before 1802 and disembodied that year and he may have been serving full time for a period.

Sorry for the gloomy reply!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that I was clutching at straws.  Sorry I hadn't put the date on but it was 1802.  When Helen married Daniel Potter in 1823 at Inveresk With Musselburgh,Midlothian,Scotland she named her father as William a shoemaker desceased from Dumfries? Could he have been James William Bolton or William James Bolton I don't know?  Or did he die when she was young and didn't know her fathers name.  This branch is the bane of my life every turn is a brick wall. I even joined Scotlands people and other than Helen's baptism and marriage.  and Daniel's parents marriage have been unable to find anything else

Daniel Potter was also a shoemaker.  They went on to live in Dalkeith Midlothian.

Thanks for looking

Eileen