Author Topic: James Bolton  (Read 8008 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Bolton
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 18 January 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen

Would you be able to get hold of the Kirk Sessions Minutes for Dalkeith, in case they weren't married. It might have a record of the couple being brought before the session to be admonished!

It was quite common for Scots women to be known by their maiden name whether or not they were married so the fact that their was an Elizabeth Storrie doesn't necessary say anything about her marital status.

Nothing coming up in Shropshire so far.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 07 June 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget

It is over 12 months since I have been on the family history trail.  I have asked Scotland people as to were I can view online the Kirk sessions minutes for Dalkeith for James or William Bolton and Elizabeth Storrie.

I posted what the Ewart advised no Bolton's in Dumfries. 

Today I found a death of an Elizabeth Bolton aged 80 in Dalkeith 25.04.1860 (birth 1780) parents William Storry a shoemaker and Elizabeth nee Guy. She is recorded as a widow and husband recorded as a slater no name?  I think her death was recorded by her granddaughter Elizabeth Potter I am attaching a copy of the signature for confirmation. So this would be the correct Elizabeth if it is Potter.  Helen her daughter married Daniel Potter and they had a daughter Elizabeth who didn't marry until 1868.

On the James Potter front married Jean/Jane Houldsworth 1798 found a baptism 05.04.1777 (Patter) and brothers William 16.05.1775, Robert 23.03.1781 and John 05.05.1779 all at St Cuthberts parents William (Patter) and May Hislop.  On the Dalkeith register he is recorded as a tanner and I found a tanner that referred to Hislop as tanners around that time but not been able to find it again.

On the Shropshire Militia on the Cannongate register not had any luck pinpointing John Bright who was James Potters witness. 

I would love your advise any ideas these Potter's and Bolton's are driving me to distraction.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 07 June 19 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Eileen

Thanks for drawing my attention to the thread.  I'd say the surname in the signature is definitely Potter.

I'll see if I can find anything more later.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 07 June 19 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Gadget
Eileen

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 09 June 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
I have been looking more into this since our communication.  I had a look on the LDS for Elizabeth Storrie born 1780/81 and the 1851 census with limited info came up  saying she was born in Edinburgh and living in midlothian aged 70 but couldn't find the census on Scotlandspeople.

I then had one last stab at James Bolton and found a baptism in Dirleton 12.02.1764 parents Andrew Bolton and Mary Clark.  What drew my attention was he had an elder sister Helen Bolton born 5/7/1763 and baptised at Dirleton 22.7.1762.  It was the Helen link that caught my attention

I also thought that Helen that married Daniel Potter could have said William a shoemaker and the scribe wrote Bolton when she could have been referring to William Storrie who was probably the only father she had known Do you think this is feasible?

Eileen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 09 June 19 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen

I think it's very possible but the main problem is proof. I'd say pencil it in and keep alert to any other leads.  They often just pop up by chance. Last night, while looking for someone else, I found a 4th cousin who I'd 'lost'. He seems to have had an interesting life! 

Gadget

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 09 June 19 13:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Gadget,

Can't seem to find any marriages and nothing for Elizabeth Guy except fife 1749 and Bishop wear mouth 1764. I know what I wanted to ask is a slater a person who slates roofs or was it something else.  James Bolton seems to have been a bit of the Jack the lad, soldier militia, shoemaker, gardener and a slater?  Oh the joys of research. :D

Eileen

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 09 June 19 15:20 BST (UK) »
Not sure if I have the name right so am attaching a copy of the parents names and also of Elizabeth's widow.

Eileen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 09 June 19 17:42 BST (UK) »

Oh the joys of research

;D

A slater was someone who slates  roofs, etc. 

Confirming names:

William Storry, shoemaker
Elizabeth Storry, maiden name Guy

Bolton, Elizabeth, Widow of a slater

Gadget