Author Topic: James Bolton  (Read 8025 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Bolton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 October 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
Did Helen marry marry Daniel Potter in Musselburgh, 23 Jan 1823?

If so, the record that I've accessed shows father as William Bolton, not James  :-\

Addded - but another has her born Dalkieth, 1802. Father James and mother Elizabeth Story.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 October 17 13:56 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to investigate the Scottish angle ~

When Helen died in 1882 , her father is given as James Bolton, gardener. 

Added - will make other replies on your Dumfries posting as I think they will relate to Scotland:

Threads merged and placed on Scotland Board.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Did James and Elizabeth have another child other than Helen?   I've found a possible baptism in Hampshire:

Christchurch, Hampshire 26 May 1811
James Bolton son of James Bolton and Elizabeth.

Gadget

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget.  Yes I knew about the marriage and I asked a Scottish historian and he said he thought that William was wrong considering her baptism and death gives James.  He seems to think that the scribe wrote it down wrong.  I haven't found James Potter's baptism yet but think his father was William.

The only reason I am waiting for Dumfries archives is because the 4th regiment of the NB Militia was also known as the Dumfriesshire Militia.

The only reason I had for thinking the death was Helen Potter nee Bolton's mother was her having a daughter christened at St Pancras Old Church in 1828 and this was the only one of their children according to census who wasn't born in Dalkeith.

Thanks again

Eileen

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
I haven't found any other children but Helen was born in 1802 and baptised at Dumfries I think Elizabeth nee Storrie was only 16.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 October 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
Yes - I've been looking into Helen's family and see that Jane was born England on censuses. How certain are you that this Elizabeth Bolton is Helen's mother?

I'm sure I got my Dumfriesshire ancestors' military service (during same period) from the National Archives (Kew). It was a good many years ago and I had to order.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 October 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget

No evidence that it is Helen's mother at all but when Jane was christened in London they were living in Henry Street/Road not sure. I also found a James Bolton who was late of John Street Adelphi a bankrupt Wine merchant in 1809. 

The funny thing about this is that it was posted in the London Gazette but also posted in the Edinburgh Gazette?

Presumably he would have been in debtors prison but can't find any other info to prove or disprove.

Dumfries archives are checking the muster rolls for me but from all accounts there is no indexing for them and they are in yearly platoon order not regiments.  So hopefully in the not so distant future they will get back to me. 

I can't find any marriage or baptism for James Bolton and Elizabeth Storrie/Story/Storey or Stary but it said on the baptism that she was his spouse?

??? Totally confused

Eileen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 October 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
It's been estimated that only about 30% of pre-1855 Scottish marriages are listed, for various reasons. See:

https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/marriage/

I think it might be best to see what the Ewart produces.  I'll keep looking to see if there is anything that might help.

Gadget

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 October 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Gadget  help much appreciated

Eileen