Author Topic: James Bolton  (Read 8029 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Bolton
« on: Tuesday 12 September 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone who can advise me about the muster rolls.  I am looking for James Bolton who at the time of his daughter Helen's baptism in Scotland he was a soldier.

The baptism reads "James Bolton, Soldier in the 4th Regt of Scots Militia and Elisabeth Story his Spouse had a Daughter born 16 April and baptised 18th April by the name of Helen Witnesses James Jarvis miner and John Mcpherson". Baptised at Dalkeith Mid Lothian Scotland.

I am hoping to find his age or anything about him that may point me in the direction of progressing my family history.

I have also posted this on the military board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=778794.0

Eileen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Bolton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
Eileen forgot to add the year of birth of Helen ~

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT5Q-WRH
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
According to someonline trees he was named William James Bolton. I'm not sure how accurate this is but will do some more searches. So far nothing concrete on him or Elisabeth Stor(e) y.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget

Thanks for the information and your help. Much appreciated.  On his daughter Helen's baptism in 1802 he is James a soldier in the Militia spouse Elisabeth Story.  On her marriage to Daniel Potter 1823 his name is William and he's a shoemaker (like Daniel) deceased.  I understand that the militia in Scotland was disbanded in 1802.

Not found a death for him as I don't know how old he was.  I thought if he was a soldier there might be details of him.

Thanks again

Eileen

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
Please Please can someone do a lookup for me at the Dumfries archives.

My needs are for any details on a James Bolton who when his daughter Helen was baptised in Dalkeith 18.04.1802 his profession was given as soldier in the 4th regiment of the NB Militia which I have been advised is the Dunfriesshire regiment. His wife was Elizabeth Storrie although I have not managed to find the marriage.

This is what Scotlands peope sent me.  The Ewart Library in Dumfries, under ref EGD/27, holds Records of Dumfriesshire Regiment of Militia: Pay lists, 1798-1811; Pay list abstract, 1803-1804; Muster and pay lists, 1804-1811; Accounts and receipts, c 1805-1810; Letter book, 1799-1811.

I think he may have been stationed at Edinburgh

I am unable to look this up myself as I am not from Scotland.  I think he was born circa 1770 but do not know where.  Hoping that the Militia records will give me something positive so as I can continue with my history. 

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 October 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone can help me I have found on the LDS Elizabeth Bolton  death St Pancras 10.10.1830 aged 44 giving a birth of 1786.  Could anyone tell me if there are further details like was she a widow, maiden name anything really that will point me in the right direction

Eileen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 October 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
It's in the non-conformist registers - Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion - Spa Fields

http://deceasedonlineblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/londons-spa-fields.html

No other info than what you have.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 October 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  Is the burial ground affiliated to any church?

I was clutching at straws as usual on this branch of my history but a Helen Bolton who married Daniel Potter had their daughter christened at St Pancras Old Church in 1828.  The rest of their children were christened in the Dalkeith area of Scotland.

I just thought this could have been her and her daughter Helen was visiting.  If it is Helen's mother she was only 16 when she had her.  On the baptism at Dalkeith James was a soldier in the 4th regiment of the NB Militia.  I am awaiting info on that from Dumfries as to his age etc.

Elizabeth's husband was James Bolton and according to his daughters marriage record he was
deceased at the time which was 1823.

Can't think of any other reason for Helen to baptise her child at St Pancras other than she was visiting family when her child was born

Thanks again Gadget    Eileen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 October 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  Is the burial ground affiliated to any church?

I don't think so.  From the link I gave:

The Spa Fields locality is known for its nonconformist Chapel. This has led to some confusion among family historians who believed the burial ground to be nonconformist. In fact, Spa Fields is not the chapel's burial ground as it was privately owned. The creator of the Chapel, Selina Hastings, Countess of Huntingdon, is buried further east in the nonconformist burial ground of Bunhill Fields. Her record can be found in the Bunhill collection on the Deceased Online database. Both the Spa Fields and Bunhill collections are digitised from original registers held in series RG4 at The National Archives at Kew.

The info I gave was from the RG4 series. If there was a Scottish connection, it could be that the family were Presbyterian (Church of Scotland) or other non-c.  I'll see if I can find more.

Gadget