Author Topic: Joseph ELLIS in Wrexham ... needle in a haystack?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph ELLIS in Wrexham ... needle in a haystack?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
Nothing for John. William is down as Grandson to Elizabeth,  so who is the Ellis parent?  John is too young.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 20:22 BST (UK) »
Annette has previously found a baptism for John:

r.   Although this Joseph shown as gardener in 1851/1861 on the baptism of son John Elles on 24/8/1823 Wrexham (of Esclusham above) Joseph is shown as Labourer
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you so much all - I had been suspicious that maybe the Joseph, gardener, was my ancestor but all of the evidence you have presented confirms it!

I am so interested in this potential baptism to Gifford (unusual name, how useful!) and Jane - does the register state Gifford's occupation? Am wondering if he also was a gardener of some sort. I see an index entry for Gifford's baptism in 1762 in Ruabon to John and Elizabeth Ellis (alas, could there be more common names??).

I am also still wondering about Elizabeth Ellis, Joseph's wife. Based on the baptism records I can find on FindMyPast, I don't see one possibility that stands out particularly.

I am not sure who William is the son of...I know he was not Thomas's either, too old.

Thank you all so much for all of your help so far! This is so fascinating. I know little about Welsh genealogy, as most of my ancestors have been in England.

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
If this is the correct Joseph then his parents and grandparents can be followed up in Ruabon and Erbistock parishes.

I have all of the Ruabon and some Erbistock transcription booklets  from Clwyd FHS but Hillary might want to follow them up herself.

Gadget

Gadget, I would be so grateful for any info you find on the Ellises in your transcription booklets!