Author Topic: Buying and purchasing a house circa 1908  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Buying and purchasing a house circa 1908
« on: Tuesday 12 September 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone has tried to find out when their relations purchased a property and how you would go about finding out.

My Grandparents were born in 1881 and 1885. They married in 1908, I have found them individually on the 1891 and together on the 1911 Census but can not find either of them on the 1901 Census.

They married in Wisbech in 1908 but lived together for all their married lives just outside Kings Lynn. I know the property and address where they lived. I am now curious to find out when they actually purchased their property and how they managed to finance their purchase.

Does anyone have previous experience of findings these things out and could you tell me the best way to go about it please.

Many thanks in anticipation

Steve ;)
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Buying and purchasing a house circa 1908
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
Start at HM Land registry
Ask HM Land Registry to search who owned the property for a specific date or multiple dates. https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
Are you sure they bought the house or could it have been rented?
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
Ask HM Land Registry to search who owned the property for a specific date or multiple dates. https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land

Thank you very much iluleah for your reply and the link.  ;)

Thank you for your reply nanny jan and the question you pose.  ;) I don`t know for sure whether it was originally rented or purchased, it was purchased at sometime though as it was sold when my Grandparents passed away in the early 1960s.

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 September 17 09:45 BST (UK) »

Thank you very much iluleah for your reply and the link.  ;)

Thank you for your reply nanny jan and the question you pose.  ;) I don`t know for sure whether it was originally rented or purchased, it was purchased at sometime though as it was sold when my Grandparents passed away in the early 1960s.

The approach (surely) is to find out who owned it. If it's your grandparents, you know they bought it. If it isn't you know they rented it, and who from. Good information either way.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply and the comments you make.

Since my original post I have carried out some research but I am struggling at present. As mentioned previously I know the property and the address, however, the property was only known by its house name but the list I have checked only relates to house numbers.

Whether the modern day postal numbering system is the same as 100 plus years ago I don`t know, its something I need to try find out.  :-\

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
It was not unusual for properties to be known only by name, I know of some properties where that is still the case.

Numbers today are not necessarily the same as years ago, as more building took place houses were sometimes renumbered, for example, I once lived in number 28 which was renumbered to 4 while we were living there.

You may also find the house is missing from the Land Registry, many old properties  are still not registered, unless they have been bought and sold in recent years.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 October 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jebber,

Many thanks for your reply  :)

Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging your response sooner but I normally get an email notification letting me know someone has replied but this did not happened on this ocassion and I have only just revisited this topic.

You make a very valid point about old properties not being registered with Land Registry. After speaking to some friends recently regarding their proposed house purchase it highlighted your point exactly, the elderly vendors only had the deeds to the property and it was never registered.

Steve