Author Topic: Lost in the Moore's  (Read 627 times)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Lost in the Moore's
« on: Wednesday 13 September 17 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I am trying to find the parents of Jane and Martha Moore and provide the following information.

Martha Moore baptised 27 Nov 1771 St Leonards Shoreditch to David and Sarah Moore
Martha Moore married William Lake 20 Nov 1792 St Pancras

Jane Moore baptised 2 Mar 1778 St Andrew Holborn, no parents shown on IGI
Jane Moore married James Neighbour 18 Jun 1803 St Pancras
(James baptised 30 Jun 1771 St Luke Old Street)
Jane and James have 10 identified children baptised 1810 to 1827, there could be more unidentified between 1803 and 1810
James Neighbour is buried 11 May 1830 St Mary Islington

Jane Neighbour marries Robert Taylor 13 Nov 1831 St James Clerkenwell

1841 Census HO107/664/14/30/10
Robert and Jane Taylor aged 60 (indexed as Jayter on ancestry) in Brand Street Islington

1851 Census HO107/1501/257/30
Jane Taylor aged 73 and Mary Lake aged 80 in Brand Street Islington

1861 Census RG9/139/93/29
Jane Taylor aged 80 with youngest son Joseph Neighbour in Brand Street Islington

Jane Taylor buried 9 Mar 1862 Islington Cemetery  and registered March qtr 1862 Islington Vol 1b p211 age 84

I can’t verify that the sisters have the same parents as they are not identified for Jane.

I have identified a potential set of parents as David Moore and Sarah Hundelbee married 3 Apr 1763 St Leonards Shoreditch.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost in the Moore's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
No parents shown on original register for Jane either, only the abode of Saffron Hill Workhouse.

There is a David MOORE marriage to a Sarah HUNDELBEE at St Leonard's Shoreditch on 3 Apr 1763, which is a possibility. Both signed and witnesses were William and Abednego HUNDELBEE.

There is a baptism of a Sarah Martha to David and Sarah at St Leonards in July 1765, possibly another daughter.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 02:46 BST (UK) »
Wow, Saffron Hill Workhouse, a tough place in a tough place.

Being extremely poor ties in with the rest of their later history as Brand Street Islington was also a very poor area.

I have that marriage and as the most likely, and agree Sarah Martha would be another daughter.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 05:34 BST (UK) »
No parents shown on original register for Jane either, only the abode of Saffron Hill Workhouse.

I wonder if there is a workhouse admission entry anywhere for Jane and/or the mother?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 09:15 BST (UK) »
The page for Holborn Workhouse (Saffron Hill) on the excellent Workhouses website:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Holborn/

Scroll to the bottom for details of records - some of which are on Ancestry, and some on FindMyPast ;D

But probably not for 1770's?

Maybe London Metropolitan Archives?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 10:43 BST (UK) »
I'm not clear why you think Jane Moore baptised 2 March 1778 at St Andrew Holborn was the sister of Martha? How do they connect?

As this Jane was baptised from the Saffron Hill workhouse, with no parents listed, she may have been a foundling, or perhaps an adult.

A Jane Moore was buried at St Andrew Holborn on 9 March 1778, no age stated in the register.

Poor law records for the Liberty of Saffron Hill for this date are not at LMA. They are at Camden Local Studies (in Holborn Library). They are not online.
https://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/content/leisure/local-history/collections/local-authority-archives/?page=4

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
I now a Jane Moore (Neighbour-Taylor) and a Martha Moore (Lake) are sisters from the 1851 census.

What I said at the start was that I couldn't verify a baptism for each sister with the same parents for which I needed help, not vilification.