Author Topic: Understanding Poll Books  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Nese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Understanding Poll Books
« on: Wednesday 13 September 17 03:19 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know why some people voted for 2 people and others only 1?  I'm using the 1868 Cricklade Poll Book and see that 2 members of the family voted for Cadogan while another 2 voted for both Goddard and Cadogan.  Were some people entitled to more votes, if so why and why didn't they vote twice for the the same person?

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding Poll Books
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
If you owned property over a certain value gave you the entitlement to vote, some people owned more than one property in different places, this gave them a second vote.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
Also, there was the university vote. This from Wiki:

In the United Kingdom, up to 1950, people affiliated with a university were allowed a vote in both a university constituency and their home constituency, and property owners could vote both in the constituency where their property lay and that in which they lived, if the two were different. Therefore some university-educated property owners could vote in three different constituencies. After 1910, the Liberal Government was intent on passing a Plural Voting Bill that sought to prevent electors who appeared on the electoral register more than once from voting more than once. Liberal and Unionist Headquarters were in agreement that 29 seats were won by Unionists in December 1910 because of plural voting.[1] However, before the bill could pass through Parliament, the Great War started and the bill was shelved. These practices were finally abolished by the Representation of the People Act 1948, which first applied in the 1950 General Election.

A simple description of the history of voting in UK is given here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/citizenship/struggle_democracy/getting_vote.htm

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
I should think this is more a case of multiple candidates for a seat that returned more than one representative. Otherwise you would surely vote twice for the same person. It could be that the ones who voted once only wanted the one candidate and didn't like the other choices.
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Nese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 23:45 BST (UK) »
The family in question were certainly not involved with any universities.  The individuals did own land, just one property each, so in their case at least I decided it might be that the seat could have more than one representative.  With that in mind I've found a list of UK constituencies for the time period and, indeed, Cricklade was entitled to two representatives.

Thanks for replies which have helped me solve this puzzle.