Author Topic: plymouth deaths  (Read 866 times)

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
plymouth deaths
« on: Wednesday 13 September 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hello , I am looking into the deaths of possible ancestors of mine in Plymouth , they were Henry Thomas Prout  born 1844 and his sister Mary Ann Prout born 1836 . In 1901 they were both living at 13 Moon St , Plymouth , actually next door to relations at No 14 . I wondered what sort of property it was and if there may be photos of Moon St at that time . I also wondered if there was a graveyard search I can look at to perhaps locate graves ?
Any help much appreciated .
Regards
Alan

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: plymouth deaths
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 08:44 BST (UK) »
You may like to submit your request to Devon FHS "www board" where it will be seen by people  with a wealth of local knowledge. You do not need to be a member to post.

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
A street in the same area was Looe Street which probably was similar in buildings see https://municipaldreams.wordpress.com/2015/04/ scroll down until you have bw photo of Looe Street.

You can see Moon Street on a Google map at  http://plymouth.streetmapof.co.uk/moon-street/
it is marked with a red marker note it is close to a church Charles Church which was bombed in WWII but also nearby was St Andrew Church. There was a cemetery nearby to Charles Church [records of registers Plymouth and West Devon Record Office but not online] it did not suffer bomb damage but due to modern times road widening all the graves were exhumed by the Plymouth council. The Engineer's Dept recorded what remained of the graveyard and deposited with the Society of Genealogists in London [Genuki Devon Plymouth reference City Engineer's Staff. List of Graves to be Removed and relating to the Memorial Inscriptions of Charles Church, Plymouth. (1955) [SoG Library DE/M15]
As many town graveyards were becoming overfilled a private company opened a new bigger cemetery in 1848 known as Ford Park Cemetery so it is possible that your ancestor was buried there. A Small selection of their records are in P&WDRO but otherwise you pay a search fee to FP [note it is £10-50 for one search] However as you do not have the years when the burials occurred this could be difficult and very expensive. The city council also began opening municipal cemeteries the first being Efford. You can ask Plymouth CC bereavement services to do a search [fees charged] but again you need the year of death. Try using the website freeBMD to see if you can find when the deaths were registered. Keep in mind that Mary Ann probably married so you may need to also check possible marriages to give you the appropriate name for the death certificate.
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
The surname search at http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/surnames.htm says there are 51 entries for Prout at Weston Mill Cemetery, 18 at Efford Cemetery.
To view details you need to be a member of the Society, membership starts at £10.00 for an e- membership (Jan to Dec) see http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/shop/membership_new.php
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for such great information . I see they were living at 27 Looe St  in 1851 census . I will digest what you have told me , thank you .
Regards
Alan